Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Water Pump Mechanical Seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Mechanical Seal

I just finished changing the dreaded water pump mechanical seal on my cousin's 2010 RZR 800 and I didn't even need any holy water. I removed the old seal with a medium sized common screw driver, that had a very good tip, by just catching and gently bending the seals metal lip away from the mating flange a little at a time, until I had it bent back all the way around the seal; it then popped right out in my fingers. After cleaning everything up real good, I gently tapped the new seal in with a deep well socket and went back together with it. The whole job took about an hour, which a lot of was looking for the right sized socket to tap the seal in with.

The big thing is to take your time and not gouge or score any metal up while bending the seal tab back for removal, just one small bite at a time; aluminum is much softer than a screwdriver tip. Hope this helps others build the nerve to tackle the dreaded water pump mechanical seal.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If I hadn't replaced so many 500 and 700 bent shafts from people doing this I would be tempted to do this on the Razr!! Brilliant engineers didn't leave room to get the cover off to do it the right way and knock the seals out without having to pull the engine!Same thing on the starter bendix,you have to disconnect every thing and move the engine forward enough or just pull it up to get the damn cover off! We had to do it the right way at the shop and cussed em a lot! SCARES me when I hear people doing this! Guess I'm snakebit from having had to split to many engines to replace bent shafts!! Hope the later models are easier for you guys to work on! OPT

Old 04-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If I hadn't replaced so many 500 and 700 bent shafts from people doing this I would be tempted to do this on the Razr!! Brilliant engineers didn't leave room to get the cover off to do it the right way and knock the seals out without having to pull the engine!Same thing on the starter bendix,you have to disconnect every thing and move the engine forward enough or just pull it up to get the damn cover off! We had to do it the right way at the shop and cussed em a lot! SCARES me when I hear people doing this! Guess I'm snakebit from having had to split to many engines to replace bent shafts!! Hope the later models are easier for you guys to work on! OPT

I don't blame you OPT, I would not have attempted it, but having been an aircraft mechanic for 30 years myself, I just kept studying it from all angles and just could not see not being able to pull it off, if I was careful. Being a retired aircraft mechanic, I swear you guys had these damned RZRs engineered by Boeing.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I think all engineers and designers should spend a couple years as a mechanics helper before they even touch a pencil or start doodling designs! May help them think about the lowly tech before they start thinking "Let's just build a frame around this engine and cram as much stuff as possible in the smallest space we can" OPT