Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Picked up a phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up a phoenix

I,ve seen opinions of machine,lol.(aeon?) Found a mint 05 on craigys for a good price. Needs new rectifier. Have 1 ordeded. Sounds really good. Gonna try to get my wife out quading on it for a day or 2 then resell. Looked at 4/5 quads before this 1. All I can say is buyer beware, Ragged,ruined,broken,worn out $hit,LIARS Wasted over 100 in gas,LIARS,LIARS
But whatever
cheers
vid of machine
Polaris phoenix 200 05 - YouTube
Gonna wait a couple weeks to sell prob gonna ask 1000/1500.
Quads around here are pricey.Peeps get top dollar

Old 05-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

The little 200 wasn't a bad machine but you had to rev the motor a little in neutral and as the revs came down then you could shift into forward or reverse with a positive clunk.(Blame it on straight cut transmission gears) Other wise if you just push it in gear they will usually jerk and jump into gear. Almost every one we uncrated were this way. Once you get the hang of it it's no big deal. Phoenix and the Sawtooth which had the same engine were overall good beginner atvs. OPT

Old 05-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One piece of advice i have learned form my boys Phoenix's (2 of'em) is put dielectric grease in the spark plug boot on EVERY outting...it'll melt out, so to speak, so no worries about it accumulating. It seems with the way the water sprays on water crossings at the spark plu it would stall out, not restart for a few minutes til it dried itself out from the heat , then would refire. AND I fabbed a "water guard" that wraps the front frame rails and protects the electronics using a piece of aluminum flashing. I thought maybe the electronics were getting wet, maybe it helped but I believe it was more water on the spark plug that was killing it regularly as they ran it thru water. Otherwise have been nice machines for them.

You can look under the front fender/nose area and see all the electronics and imagine what the baffle would look like...about 8-10 inches wide, wraps the front frame tubes and tucks up where the front fenders bolt to the frame. Thats what holds it in place is the existing fender bolts.

Hope yer wife enjoys the new machine !

Old 05-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default thanks

Thanks for the advice. Noticed the engine case has some cooling fins built into it. The machine looks pretty trick. Sounds pretty tough. Beefy maxxis tires too. Thinking its a keeper. I will post a vid of wife on phoenix when ricks rectifier shows. Cheers. O ya a question. When i got the quad it had way to much engine oil in it. When i was taking loose the 17mm i could feel a spring behind it?? So i only took it out enough to drain. Is that the drain? Is there a spring behind it? Thanks. Wanna change all fluids. Thanks again

Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

There's a spring and a mesh wire oil strainer that pulls out with the drain bolt. Remember how the strainer goes back in. Just like the old Honda drain plugs. OPT

Old 05-11-2012, 06:31 AM
Pro Rider

JasBurrito,
What size tires are on the rear? I am thinking about upgrading ours and you stated it had "beefy " tires...just wondering if they are bigger than stock.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

ALSO, another thing I have started doing to the Phoenix's is, they seem to have something "funny" with the carbs so I add a dose of Seafoam to them at every other tank fill-up/top-off....not sure if it is crud in the carbs as we bought them new or something sticking (the float) but it does seem to help some issues we were having...now yers is a bit older so may not have the issue hopefully.
just a note

Trending Topics

Old 05-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default ricks

Figured out the battery took out the rectifier.bat was reading 17volts. New bat&rectifier installed.syntec 5/50 engine&synthetic 75/90 trans. My son and i ran it around the yard for hr strait. Seemed to work mint. No tire snoker for sure.but fun. The tires on the back are really aggressive. Mine are like new. Little nubs barely worn off. Seems 20/10/9s would be more fun. There way overkill. Diggin it. Gonna try to get the wife on phoenix tomarrow. Cheers

Old 05-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default oil on filter

noticed the plug was black(rich) paper air filter was soaked with oil. the over fill of oil was kickin into the air box. rinsed with gas then hot water to fan. Also noticed the air box intake seemed some restrictive. So I reemed it out to about the full size of opening.(Where the snorkel meets box) Maybe it is a tire smoker?. did a few brakys in the yard no sweat. Put dielectric grease on every ele atv connection. Washed with super hot water and simple green about 5 diff times. looks great. Quad runs strong.Has not stalled on me once. Starts in 1 thump.Micro switch at throttle bent not to contact. I bought quad non running/cleaned carb set fuel screw.
but whatever
cheers