Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Please Help! New Tires & Rims for Scram 500 4x4 (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PolarJunkie, I am considering the Bandits on .190 all the way around for the Scrambler. Any comments about them? How are they holding up?
Most of the riding that I do is on hardpack with minor mud, but the red clay mud is some really mean stuff.

Old 03-21-2001, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

CaptNemo,
I think the bandits are a good all around tire. But the bandits I Chose are the bandit xc and are different from the regular bandits. The xc s are holding up good not much ride time on them yet thanks to snow. The bandit xc s have a more rounded profile with a center tack that make it very easy to steer with. Being 6 ply they dont roll in the corners. I think the regular bandits are a more flat tread and geared toward a hardpack motorcross type application. From what I've heard the fast trekker is a good tire for the type of riding you were describing. But I think most of it goes down to what you personally like.

Old 03-22-2001, 01:05 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the replies guys. Lots of good info.

Xplor, I got the idea for the low range Scram from Berts. The dealership I take my bike to did the tranny work on the Scram at Berts. They also did a TB w/an 800 twin sled motor in it. that thing is scary. I am considing the Bear Claws because I can put 25"s on front and 24"s in the rear. That would keep pretty close to the ratio Polaris recommends.

Gotta admit, I'm in "tire search overload" here. My drunken buddy says I should put Blackwater 26" on front and 25s on back. But that will be just too big and I don't want to have to throw in a new clutch, explorer tranny, hotter cam....motor work.....new stickers with flames.....ad nauseum. At least not yet. LOL

I don't hear much about ProWedges in this forum. Where I ride that is pretty much "The Tire" for the rears. I may just go that route...then save up my $ and make a b*tchin quad in 6 months or so.

The great thing about this forum is the knowledge I have gained is really going to help me make some good targeted buys. Cut down on the experimentation a bit.

Checked my rims with a magnet. They are aluminum....but why in the heck does Polaris paint aluminum? Figure they would want everyone to know that aluminum wheels are stockers....

I am going to take my bike up to work and weigh it on the digital scale. I want to know just how much this sucker actually weighs wet.

Regards,

MrMan

Old 03-22-2001, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer

I'd beware of putting a too agressive treaded tire on. I went to the Maxxis All Trac's on the rear of mine and have lost quite a bit of sliding ability in the change. It wants to hook up too much for really fun sport riding now. It doesn't like to power slide or kick the rear end out anymore, just want's to stand up on me anytime I really get on it. Hopefully once the tread wears of a little this will get better. They are bad a$$ in the mud and slop and are great for take off speed (if I lean way forward) but I really enjoy powerslides too. I did alot of shopping around and chose to go with Rocky Mountain. They're prices are pretty competitive in the overall package deals when you consider the individual pricing for each component (tires and wheels).

Old 03-22-2001, 10:15 PM
ox
Pro Rider

Mr. Man;

I need new skins before Silver Lake in May too. I am not planning on riding this area often so I don't care about how the tires hook in the sand. Where I normally ride ROCKS are of great concern. For this reason I too was considering going with bigger meats and hopefully heavier sidewall.
I too was concerned about the gear ratio. What will this do for my ability to climb hills in the pits?
Also, a 3" taller tire will only get you 1.5" more clearance. It's that "it's only flat on the bottom" thing yunno. LOL!
I'm a recovering Yammi rider. Haven't rode it in a few months and haven't missed a YRA meeting since. However, if someone doesn't buy it soon, I may fall off the wagon soon! ANYWHO; the Yammi only had (well still does) 4" ground clearance. I rolled quite a few sex stones down the trail. Never hurt anything I guess tho. It brings a smile to DJ425's face every time he sees one rolling down the trail. LOL! With the shaft drive he has ground clearance! Now the Scrambler has a LOT more clearance (than the yammi)so I don't know wheather this is near the isue I think it is. However in our bunch, the only flats we had last year were 2 sidewalls. My plugs aren't THAT big! So maybe I will try to get 4 ply's too.
Just like you, I feel like a tug of war rope. BUT, I have a THIRD possability. (No group W bench tho for you Guthry fans) Was thinking of putting the 25's on so that we could carry a spare front rim/tire w/adaptor plate to fit either front or rear for WHEN we have a blown sidewall. (in this case I would rather it be injected) I HAVE an un-injector kit in my pack!