Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bigger tires killed my low end torque..suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger tires killed my low end torque..suggestions?

I have a '08 Sportsman 300, same as the Hawkeye, and it came stock with 22" tires. I recently installed 23" tires and my low end torque decreased dramatically. I expected a little decrease, but its really noticeable. I checked if they make an aftermarket clutch kit for this model, but they do not. What else can help me increase low-end torque? Exhaust?

Old 07-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Kinda of limited by the Eton clutch system as far as any upgrades there,plus the 300 was only produced 3 years,but if other owners have made any performance improvements hopefully they will post their results. OPT

Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can probably make your own "kit" by checking what style weights are used in your primary clutch, and see if you can find matching ones in a lighter weight, or find a primary spring one or two steps stiffer than your factory one. Same with the secondary, find the specs on it, and see if there is one with slightly higher compression/weight settings and go from there. I dont know if the quad clutches are the same as the sled ones, are there multiple holes on your secondary? you can use those to tune your secondary a bit before changing springs. Never messed with a Polaris quad clutch, but have done a bit with Polaris sleds,if they are similar, should be pretty easy to tune it to your needs. Check with Aaen performance and see if they have any recommendations, even if no pre made kit is available, you should be able to swap out springs and weights to get what you want.
Dang, just saw OPT post the clutch isnt the same...so I guess my idea is pretty useless.......

Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys. I know the smaller quads are kinda limited with the upgrades available. I am 6' 2" so maybe its time for a full-size quad! My buddies always razz me about it. Keeping my eye out for a 500 or larger.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Going from that mild 300 to even a 500 would feel like jumping off a pony and grabbing hold of a Brahma bull....lol. That quad is very heavy for a little motor like that, and if you are a big guy, you are probably pushing that little motor to its limits, bigger tires just magnified that.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

so.......you copy part of my post and send me links to other web sites....just who are you
Katherinjjm?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:09 AM
Trailblazer

Agreed 95wolv, this quad takes me where I want to go, just not very fast. Just need to find the xtra money to go bigger.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:43 AM
Pro Rider

Hey, my first quad was a Yamaha Moto4 200........same thing, got me there, and was actually pretty good in tight woods trails. but down on power for hills and such.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

try a larger rear sprocket or smaller primary sprocket...or both.. i dont know to much about a sportsman quad but if you cant find a sprocket that will fit you may have to use your old sprocket as a templet for drilling a new bolt pattern

Old 07-18-2012, 07:58 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ATV suzuki Dude
try a larger rear sprocket or smaller primary sprocket...or both.. i dont know to much about a sportsman quad but if you cant find a sprocket that will fit you may have to use your old sprocket as a templet for drilling a new bolt pattern
hehe-
it's a sportsman, not a sport quad-
no sprockets

the best way to increase the power of a 300 is to buy a 500

Quick Reply: Bigger tires killed my low end torque..suggestions?