Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

NEED INFO ON MAGNUM'S

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-1999, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GOOD MORNING FRIENDS,
LOOKING AT BUYING ANOTHER QUAD, WANT A UTILITY FOR FARM WORK, HUNTING, SOME FUN RIDING, AND RIDING IN THE MOUNTAINS. I HAVE A 95 SCRAMBLER 400, WITH A FEW MODS, AND LOVE IT - AND KEEPING IT. WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE MAGNUM. I KNOW THE SPORTSMAN IS THE KING, BUT NOT SURE IF THE ADDED PRICE AND MAINT. IS WORTH IT FOR MY NEEDS RIGHT NOW. HOW DOES THE EBS WORK. WILL BE IN THE MOUNTAINS A LOT, AND HILLS. WHAT ARE OTHER GOODS AND BADS OF THE MAGNUM. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL THE HELP, THAT IS ONE THING I HAVE ALWAYS FOUND IN FELLOW POLARIS RIDERS.

------------------

Old 07-24-1999, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ken,

Would like to comment on your question concerning the Polaris EBS.

I have a 98 Xplorer 400 without the EBS. A friend just purchased a 98 Sportsman 500 with EBS and when I drove his machine I could not believe how well the EBS worked when descending steep hills. In comparing the amount of braking needed on my 400 to his 500 I rode alongside him down a steep descending gravel road and was amazed that he did not have to use his brakes (just left off the throttle) to maintain a safe speed while I was continually applying my brakes. When I buy another machine it will have the EBS on it because it suits the type of riding I do, which is similar to what you have described.I know that the system will decrease brake pad usage which should save some money in the long run. The only question I have, is the engine, belt and trans. put under any damaging srtess because of the EBS? I'm not sure if that is the case but would like to know.

Semper Fi,

Big_Al

------------------

Old 07-27-1999, 01:57 AM
Range Rover

Ken:

I hope you received my email to you. Or you may wish to read my response to you under my "Polaris Conspiracy" heading.

------------------
Donald J. Dickinson 99 Magnum 500, 99 Sport 400L Ooh yeah!

Old 07-27-1999, 03:14 PM
Range Rover

big al you can add ebs to any polaris quad but it works best if you have the hi/low range transmission. the ebs works the same as polaris all wheel drive. when the rear clutch turns faster than the engine clutch the over run clutch engages and make a direct connection to the engine.i have added ebs to my 400 exp with great results.

[This message has been edited by motorman (edited 07-27-1999).]

Old 07-31-1999, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

motorman,

From your description of how the EBS works it sounds like it eliminates the machine from free wheeling and keeps it connected to the engine in a somewhat similar manner as a gear driven machine. It appears that my perceived added stresses to the engine and drive system would not be any greater than those of a gear driven machine.

I do have a hi/low transmission and I am considering putting the system on my machine although the dealer said the cost of the parts would be around $400. Was this a reasonable quote for the parts?

Thanks for your insight.

Big_Al

------------------

Old 07-31-1999, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

Ken Please view my message in in Polaris conspiracy topic section. I do mechanic work part time on ATVS and own a 500 magnum . I am a full time Farmer so I may share some intrest with you on the Quads uses.

Old 07-31-1999, 09:40 PM
Range Rover

i paid $300.00 for my addon ebs from my dealer. you need to pull the front clutch and you may need the dealer to do this for you. make a deal with your dealer that you will buy the clutch if he will pull the front clutch. the rear clutch just unbolts.