Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08' sportsman 90 whinning sound when started

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08' sportsman 90 whinning sound when started

I noticed a "whinning" sound like the starter was not disengaging when I started my son's 08' fourstroke sportsman 90 yesterday. It went away after a couple start and stops so I let him ride it. He came up to me about two hours later and said it was making a funny sound (I couldn't hear it because I was working on a tree stand with a generator running). The sound was back. I took it to the garage and took the starter off and started it with the kick starter and the sound went away. I engaged the starter and it seemed to be working properly. I took it to work and a guy mentioned a "reduction gear" and that it may be sticking inside the engine and that the starter "felt" fine to him as far as bearings go. Anybody have this type of problem with their quad? Even if it is a larger sportsman I believe they have a similar setup as the smaller one. My daughter has an 11' outlaw and it looks to be the exact same starter so I'm going to take it off hers and see if that fixes the problem. Any ideas would be helpful. $130 FOR A NEW STARTER! Shame on you Polaris!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Look here on your model 90 under "engine,kick start and "engine,kick start 2" Will show the Kick start mechanism along with the starter idler gear that does sometimes stick from belt dust in the system. Browse If the starter motor itself isn't the problem,then usually cleaning this area up by blowing all the dust away and then with electrical contact cleaner. If a starter is the problem they are cheaper here. DB Electrical - Polaris OR just try Ebay. The price the dealers charge is because of the inflated prices that they are charge by Polaris Industries themselves! Same as any other dealer,regardless of brand,but there are always cheaper places. All you have to do is look. http://www.amazon.com/Polaris-Starte.../dp/B00626JR2S OPT

Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Trailblazer

Thank you for the info. I'll look into cleaning the "idler gear". I saw the starters for $25 on ebay and amazon but the 07' and up starters for the four strokes are $130. I don't think it is the starter though. I think your probably right about cleaning the gear. Looks like it may be quite a job to get in there.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Trailblazer

I put what you told me in the search engine and can't seem to find what you're talking about. Could you post a link to the directions on how to clean the idler gear and what ever else I should clean if it is not the starter?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

There's not a link that I know about. This is what I had to do on a lot of the little ones myself! You have to pull the clutch cover,have the atv in an open area because of all the dust and just blow all the dust from the clutches,etc. Inspect that the idler gear isn't binding,take off and clean up if necessary. Check also for any worn or damaged teeth on the idle gear.Also the kick start lever stays on the cover,DON'T remove it. You can operate the lever on the cover and see how it works also in egaging the primary clutch gear. Hold the ratchet gear to keep it from coming off the kick start shaft! This area may need a little grease if it's dry.. OPT

Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, thanks. I found what you were talking about. Thanks for the info.