Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Scrambler 500 First Ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 07:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Scrambler 500 First Ride

WOW!! Compared to all the other quads I've road on the trails nothing matches this thing on the fun factor!!! Went riding in a light rain so everything was slick but never had one problem getting where I wanted to go! Riding in Eastern KY and we have some pretty good hills and I hit all of them except 2 that had some rocks that I didn't feel comfortable hitting.

I was riding with a guy on a brand new 400HO Sportsman Utility, his was actually faster from a standing start but I chased him down

Pros:
Smooth ride
Very maneuverable
Nice mid range throttle/torque
No shifting in and out of gear or 4x4

Cons:
Slow on launch vs 400 HO Polaris utility
Hit a decent water hole unintentionally and it spit and sputtered for 10-15 minutes til it cleared up
Grips started sliding off once they got good and wet

Can't seem to wipe the smile off my face it was an awesome ride

Comparing the ride to previous toys I road - 04 Yamaha TTR225, 1995 Kawasaki Bayou 300 2x4, 2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 650i

Old 10-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats on the new ride, I didn't ride em much,just repaired em,but you should be able to have a quicker response than the 400? Worn belt, worn ramp buttons in the rear clutch,etc could contribute to this,but I'll let the the guys that ride em give you better ideas than this old man can on performance Plus there are a lot of options for clutch kits,etc if you wish.
Good luck again on the new ride. OPT

Old 10-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey thanks for chiming in! I'm not sure what the issue is but it felt like it had and sounded like it had the power to take off but it wasn't putting it through the wheels - after about 15 yards it sort of "kicked in" and i'd chase him down - I wasn't spinning that I could tell so I figured it was the clutch/belt - not sure how to check that though

Old 10-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

congrads on the scram. i have an 05' and i have had the 08' 400 ho and there is no way your scram shouldn't eat that 400 from start to to finsh. if your bike is boggy of the start, then as opt said the belt or secondary clutch buttons (ramps) as bad. you should be almost in a wheelie from a dead stop at full throttle if you have traction. you may want to pull the clutch cover off and start checking.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Belt is easy to check. Just check for any glazed/worn spots on the belt sides,plus using a straight edge over the top of both clutches,pull down on the middle of the belt. If it's at an 1 1/2" or more,it needs to be replaced normally. The rear clutch has buttons that ramp up on the helix. If worn down or the spring is broken or distorted,can cause the slow response. Check here on you model under "drive" and driven" clutches to show what parts are involved. Scramblers were meant to be rough ridden and usually the clutches and belt take a lot of abuse. http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp
OPT

Old 10-31-2012, 08:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys - I've been watching a few videos on youtube on how to change out a belt (if I end up needing too) and I've seen some people do it without taking off the pulleys, they just sort of walk the belt around the pulleys until they slide on - is that an acceptable method?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes,just pullup on the middle of the belt to get a little slack and walk it off the rear clutch. Just install the new belt on the front clutch and walk it over the rear.I'd still have the clutch buttons checked out as the belt may not be all of the problem, along with blowing all the belt dust from the clutches. Make sure you're in an open area because it make a dusty mess that you don't want to breathe in. OPT

Trending Topics

Old 10-31-2012, 10:29 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Wash new belt in soapy water first,new belts have a greasy film on them.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Yes,just pullup on the middle of the belt to get a little slack and walk it off the rear clutch. Just install the new belt on the front clutch and walk it over the rear.I'd still have the clutch buttons checked out as the belt may not be all of the problem, along with blowing all the belt dust from the clutches. Make sure you're in an open area because it make a dusty mess that you don't want to breathe in. OPT
for sure check them out while it's apart!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys got a question for ya

Took the scrambler for a ride today and twice I found myself fighting the handle bars when it felt like the front right wheel wasn't disengaging awd - but after I goosed it a little it would straighten up- both times it was after being in awd and turning around on a blocked trail, I had to go back and forth a few times and was on a hill once - anything particular I should check out??

Other than that, and a loose positive connection on the battery another successful ride! Took the wife and kids and let my wife ride it some and I think she's got the bug!! I heard 4-seater RZR come out of her mouth at some point!

Quick Reply: 2006 Scrambler 500 First Ride