Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

No two belts are the same.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-1999, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received my order from Aaen performance ( an Adjustable stering dampener and a Clutch tuning guide ). After skimming through the book i read in detail a chapter about belts since i go through them occationaly. Basically it stated that there is no guarantee that any belt produced is the exact size that it is claimed to be. There are tolerances ( variences in belt size ). These tolerances may be slight but they may be enough to change the overall performance of the PVT system to some degree. I might invest in a tach to keep track of how my PVT is performing. In the book it it also says that the cooler the belt is the better it grips. A top cog belt which offers better cooling is a worthwhile investment. It's a little cheeper than the stock unit at some dealers. Stock up on PVT gaskets if you tinker with your machine as much as i do because if your not carefull you will be stuck in the middle of a puddle with a wet belt.

Old 08-04-1999, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is it in particular about your riding/Atv that causes you to go through belts occasionally? Even a stocker should last quite awhile.

I've already put a Dayco Max on my '99 Sport, not that anything was wrong with the stocker. I just had the clutch tore apart and figure why not. I can't say I've noticed any change.

I think the main things to be considered in premature belt wear is alignment and moisture.

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer