Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 trail boss 325-carb problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 trail boss 325-carb problem?

so since ive had this quad is has ran like a dream EXCEPT every once in awhile she kinda sputters and stalls out...i have to choke it to start it back up when this happens, let it idle with choke for a few seconds and take the choke off, and im off riding again with no problems....so after a cpl times of this happening, when i feel it about to sputter out i stop and put the choke on and it will stay running fine...wait a few, turn the choke off and its all good again....what puzzling me is if it about to stall out after ive been riding and i choke it, it stays alive...then rides fine after that

so after trying to play in the snow a bit today i noticed it gotten much worse, it keeps wanting to stall out on me unless i pull the choke....

any ideas? does it sound like i need to rip the carb out and clean it?..

Old 01-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Have you ever checked the fuel for water? All you have to do is fill a clear glass and let it sit for about 10 minutes. If any water is in it you will see it at the bottom. Another thing on the 325 and 330 engines is that from the factory most that I've dealt with are so lean on the pilot screw(fuel/air screw) that's under the block off plug. I've found some about 1/2 turn out,even had one completely closed! The customer had to drive with the choke on for several minutes until it warmed up.About 2 turns out and they come to life with just a little choke needed even on cold days! These are just the first things that come to mind. Plus it could be as simple as trash under the needle and seat that could be intermittently blocking fuel flow. I've found this to happen more frequently with the ethanol fuel that would eat the insides of the fuel lines up!If you see any little black specs in the fuel this could be the problem. OPT

Old 01-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Have you ever checked the fuel for water? All you have to do is fill a clear glass and let it sit for about 10 minutes. If any water is in it you will see it at the bottom. Another thing on the 325 and 330 engines is that from the factory most that I've dealt with are so lean on the pilot screw(fuel/air screw) that's under the block off plug. I've found some about 1/2 turn out,even had one completely closed! The customer had to drive with the choke on for several minutes until it warmed up.About 2 turns out and they come to life with just a little choke needed even on cold days! These are just the first things that come to mind. Plus it could be as simple as trash under the needle and seat that could be intermittently blocking fuel flow. I've found this to happen more frequently with the ethanol fuel that would eat the insides of the fuel lines up! OPT
hmmm, i havent checked the fuel but ive ran the tank empty and filled it back up and its happened with both tanks of gas, plus its stored inside and i dont take it in any water above my feet(feet have never been wet, yet!)(and i will be checking the gas just to make sure water didnt get in somehow)...the water in the gas sounds logical but wouldnt it still stall out even with the choke pulled? and if its the pilot screw, does it make sense that it runs fine then out of nowhere starts the sputtering? i think it may have backfired once or twice too....

Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I've had water do this and the choke just richens up the fuel by kinda of bypassing the water that it could be sucking up in the bottom of the carb bowl??. It may not be this,but sounds similar to what I've encountered. No harm in checking the fuel and removing the carb to eliminate either as a problem. Backfiring is another symptom that I've had with water,along with bogging down. A partially fouled plug,intermittent electrical problems,you can't rule out anything in this area either. You just have to do a process of elimination to get down to what the problem is. Plus running a tank empty could allow trash that might be in the bottom of the tank to get by the gas filter into the carb? The filter is something else to check.Plus another thing you can do is to pull the black wire from the limiter module and run it for awhile and see if there's any difference. OPT

Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

so i just took off my air box, took the air filter off and theres fuel dripping into my air box.....

Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I think you need to check the carb out. OPT

Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I think you need to check the carb out. OPT
yep, ran out of light for the day....gonna get the carb out tomorrow....and maybe run some electricity out to the shed

Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

so while im in the carb, im thinking im going to do the air box mod and go from a 145 jet to a 147.5....the mix screw should be out 2 turns stock right? how much more should i unscrew it with the 147.5 jet?...and will this little mods work fine with the stock exhaust??

Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

meh(since i didnt get a response), i left it stock, got the carb cleaned "ultrasonically" after i got it apart, hopefully have some good feedback tomorrow

Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Honestly, I regret doing the airbox mod on mine. Every once in a while, I might run down a creek and after doing that it really limited how much water I was willing to go through.

If it's all stock, I'd leave the carb stock too.

Quick Reply: 2000 trail boss 325-carb problem?