Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

advice on new atv

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:10 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WilliamBos
The Polaris Liberty engines produce 100hp/ litre, they could shoehorn a 1L in a quad rated at 100hp, not sure why they dont.

Can Am did, they are the winners.
like I said the Polaris 750 (liberty) 3/4 liter is almost 100hp without turbo assist. The 1/2 liter 500cc Yamaha makes 80hp without turbo.

100hp/per liter is really considered tame now a days in the snowmobile world.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Range Rover

looking around seems the issue mentioned with the outlander frames for some years is pretty seriuos. lots of power but its got me leaning back to a polaris. lots of places I go I need to crawl over rocks and logs and push little trees over. not to mention the local BRP dealer is infamous around here for being the worst dealer on the planet. I like the fact that parts are also cheap and common on the sportsman ( not like I should be changing parts often but it happens) is fuel injection vs carb a better choice on the sportsman?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

[quote]is fuel injection vs carb a better choice on the sportsman?[quote]

I ride a 500EFI sportsman alot and can,t tell it apart from mine. My carb on my 2001 never gives me a problem. Did your?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Range Rover

[QUOTE=TLC;3169810][quote]is fuel injection vs carb a better choice on the sportsman?

I ride a 500EFI sportsman alot and can,t tell it apart from mine. My carb on my 2001 never gives me a problem. Did your?
Nope, maybe a little idle issues with big temperature swings but overall no issues. I was just wondering if a fuely would maybe have a couple more horse, and be more responsive.

I really hate the starter drive on mine, its my biggest issue right now, new bushings bendix and starter and it still never wants to catch. That and the clutching, I'm always re-aligning and changing that PTFE washer to keep the idle creep away. Are these things fixed on the late models?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

2001 to 2003 models were the worst on creeping,keeping clutches aligned. For what reasons I really don't know! The later models for the most part didn't exhibit this problem unless they tried aftermarket belts that were too wide. I kept busy shimming rear clutches and replacing the washers in the front clutch too on these models. One trick on the 500 is to not try to start it like a car! Just start with your left hand and "blip" the throttle when it first cranks up. This puts a little more force on the flywheel which will kick the bendix back out of the way of the flywheel. I've seen customers just wear starter bendixes out by just sitting there and letting the bendix grind away at the flywheel after the engine starts! Doesn't have this problem on the 700,800,etc because of more torque and inertia, just mainly the 500. OPT

Old 02-24-2013, 12:27 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

[QUOTE=01sportsmna500;3169836][QUOTE=TLC;3169810]
is fuel injection vs carb a better choice on the sportsman?

Nope, maybe a little idle issues with big temperature swings but overall no issues. I was just wondering if a fuely would maybe have a couple more horse, and be more responsive.

I really hate the starter drive on mine, its my biggest issue right now, new bushings bendix and starter and it still never wants to catch. That and the clutching, I'm always re-aligning and changing that PTFE washer to keep the idle creep away. Are these things fixed on the late models?
Never had the creeping yet, I bought the ATV with 1100 miles on it 6 years ago now its up to 4000 miles. It sits alot because we have long hard winter here in Northern Ontario.

I changed the Bendix drive once but all Fuji singles sound like a can of marbles when you hit that starter button.
The EFI does not give it a HP increase, they say the Carb is 35hp and the Efi is 36hp but your not going to feel 1hp,my weed whacker has more power then that. I never noticed a better throttle response.
I actually get better mileage then the 500 EFI but that could be do to having a larger gas tank. Polaris really shrank the gas tanks on the newer sportsmans.

One trick on the 500 is to not try to start it like a car! Just start with your left hand and "blip" the throttle when it first cranks up
That does work,also streach the bendix,s spring once in awhile ups with the return.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Range Rover

im in northern ontario too. More than likely gonna do my shopping south of the border though. There is a lot more selection it seems and the re-sale of used sleds don't hold such a high value like they do here.

Glad to hear the creep issue is better on the newer sleds. This can be a real pain when trying to plow shifting back and forth. I never really had the dis-engaging problem more like 5 tries before it would engage, or engage then slip out. Ive sworn a few times pulling the rope, and having it not start right away and ripping the cord right out of my hands. One thing i can't complain though is that it alwayd did start and get me to where i needed to be

Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Just grab the rope with both hands,slide you right hand between the handle,overlap with the other one. I learned that real quick after a couple rope burns! Some people never have a problem on creeping,but this is where as a mechanic that I was able to see tendencies and common problems that seemed to follow certain years and models of machines just from the problems they came into the shop for.These tendencies seem to stick in your mind and you see a patern of similarities after awhile. Just like the sticking bendixes in the 500s and the old Ducati ignitions in the early model 600 and 700s that were junk.Some of them are still running,but they are a time bomb ready to explode at any minute and leave the rider stranded. OPT

Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer

someone i knew bought a new 550 efi he never had any problems and had great power and speed

Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Range Rover

I donlt think you can beat the 500 ho. If you are happy with but want a newer reliable one get one. My wife has a 550 and we both like it I have an 850 and it is also great. I was told the 550 is real close in power to the old twin 700's. Plus on the xp's you get engine braking and adc standard over the 500/800 classics. They are also a narrower at the seat and ankles, plus they steer much easier and lighter. I know the 2010 xp's have grease fittings which I liked. Polaris tried to get rid of grease zerks in 04 or so, then went back to zerks. A little more maintenance but at least you know they have grease.

Above all I agree ride as many bikes as you can and see what best fits you and your budget.