Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sparkless sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sparkless sportsman

i have a '97 sportsman 500 that doesnt have spark. i tried disconnecting the kill switch and that didnt help. i tested the ignition coil and i get a resistance reading but theres no power coming out of the wire from the cdi box.

i tested the wires from the stator and pulser since they feed into the cdi box. i get a resistance reading from the stator but nothing from the pulser. also when i turn the engine over i get a power reading coming from the stator but nothing from the pulser.

is my pulser bad or am i not testing it right? if it is bad i noticed theres no way to disconnect it. do the new ones come with a big long wire that i have to feed up to the cdi or do i have to solder the new and old wires together?

Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

The pulser coil should show 97 ohms resistance(+ or - 20%) between the white and white/red wires. If it doesn't you can pull the recoil assembly and see if one of the soldered wires may have come loose.If the pulser connections are ok ,you can try this place about purchasing just the pulser coil.Also the exciter(main stator) readings should be 446 ohms between the Black/Red to Green OR Black/Red to Red (whichever colors you have) If both checks are bad then a complete stator assembly may be needed. Ricky Stator - Manufacturer of ATV & Dirt Bike Stators, Electrical Components, Lighting Systems and Suspension Products
Looks like the new pulser(pick up coils) have the wiring now.http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/p...oil-p-328.html