Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HD Spring upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Spring upgrade??

What is the best way of doing the HD spring upgrade? Should I remove the strut?

Not looking for fastest way, looking for best way to not pop CV's apart.

Will probably use Polaris springs, unless there is a reason not too.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Best to have an air ratchet or air gun. Remove the tie rod ends at the strut,remove the one bolt holding the brake line strap.Loosen the top strut nut and remove it along with the pivot ball,metal and rubber washer.Lower the strut down on a 4x4 block of wood and gently swing the strut out to where you can remove the lower pivot ball and impact the strut retainer nut off.The retainer plate will pop up when you do. Pull the old spring off,replace with the new one. Pull the strut shaft up and wrap a piece of towel around the shaft about 6 inches from the top and clamp with a pair of vice grips. Turn the vice grips and the spring will coil around it compressing it enough to install the retainer plate and nut. While still holding the vice grips,impact the nut tight. Reinstall the bottom pivot ball and swing back into position and install the top pivot,rubber washer ,metal washer and nut. You can let the vice grips turn to hit the frame support as you tighten the top nut. Gets a lot easier and quicker the more times you do it

Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

When swapping to HD springs I borrowed a set of spring compressors from my local auto parts, Autozone, orielly's, advance, whoever you got that does that. Jacked the quad up about 2" off the ground, compress the spring, remove top nut and washer, swing strut out far enough to pull spring up and off, decompress stock spring. Reverse steps to install new springs. The spring compressors are the best way to go IMO. super easy and had the job done in about an hour from start to finish including removing the front box.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys. I guess it is safe to lean the strut forward or ahead, and not sideways, correct?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

You can pull it out in any direction needed to get the spring off just don't force anything to the point of pulling the CV joint apart.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

When I did my fronts, I didn't even use compressors, not saying its not another way to do it..I was told you don't need them for the fronts but you will for the rears if you wanna do them..I was able to get the fronts in by dropping the strut just enough to sneak spring in but not too much where you might pull axle out too far..But the compressors would be a good idea also if you want..

John

Old 03-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

putting hd springs in would be easier then putting the spacers in and i didn't need to compress the springs on the 500 but i did use a strap on the 800's that i had, but if your careful, there shouldn't be any worry of hurting the cv shafts.