Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sissy tires on 500HO

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do they put such a girly tire on a big boy's toy?

Old 03-25-2001, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

First, why would Polaris or any other manufacturer put a more expensive tire on its ATV, it would cut down on profits. Second, Not everyone wants or needs an aggressive mud tire.

Old 03-25-2001, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

Snowshark is right. From the manufacturer’s perspective, they want to put on an inexpensive but capable tire that’s light enough not to rob power or produce drive line stress and reliable enough to provide decent service during reasonably good tread life. The Goodyear Tracker does all of these things. A more aggressive tire would only add to the cost of the machine, and what are the chances it would be just the right tire for your “special” needs? Not too likely. There are probably some dealers out there who are “into the sport” enough to allow you to trade up to a different tire when buying a new machine. We don’t have any who will around here, so we take the stockers off when we buy the bikes then put them back on to sell them. New stock tires on an ATV make it look and sell better and for more money so I’d rather do it that way anyway.

BTW, the absolute WORST tires I’ve ever had on an ATV were the Dunflops that came stock on a ’97 425 Magnum. They performed poorly, punctured easily and (thankfully) wore out quickly. The best stockers were probably Titan 489s with the Goodyear Trackers coming in a close second.

Old 03-25-2001, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

The tires put on the Polaris machines are still more aggressive then most OEM tires on other brand quads.

Old 03-25-2001, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

I was just about to say that, with my grizzly the tires were really sissy, the sportsmans looked like mud tires in comparison

Old 03-25-2001, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

The best thing to do with girly tires is to buy new ones ASAP.Then sell the GIRLY GOODYEARS to me.

Old 03-25-2001, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

Pigster if H.O.soulman happens to see that he's going to open a 55 gallon drum of whoopazz on you.Your right about the sissy tires on the front, they are way to narrow. If they were a little wider and the tread a little deeper like the back they would have been a lot better.

Old 03-25-2001, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

I can understand they want to use an inexpensive tire, that will last. I don't get why they had to put a motorcycle tire on the front of it. Would a wider tire have bankrupted them? If you go into deep mud in 2wd, and it starts spinning, the awd doesn't help sometimes, because the little front tires don't grab anything.
I'm ordering tires and wheels pretty soon. My King with Vamps will run by it in the deep mud. It's embarrasing!

Old 03-26-2001, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

The reason Polaris puts the Goodyear Tracker P on the front of the Sportsman is for an engineered performance level. Because it only weighs 14 lbs it is easy to rotate and the unsprung weight helps the ride. Because it is narrow it is easy to steer. Because it has a rounded shoulder it tracks in a straight line rather than grabbing and darting on the trail. Because the tread is slanted it sheds mud.

The next step up the ladder is the 20 to 22 lb weight range which includes the Titan 589 and the Goodyear Mudrunner.

A full set of Mudrunners would add 15 lbs to the weight of the Sportsman which many would say is already too heavy.

The rear tires are great. Like they said, take them off and give them to me. I should rather have the Goodyear Tracker P than the Dunlop KT125.

Are the front tires pathetic in serious mud. Definitely. Would wider help? Without a doubt.
Will heavier tires slow your quad down? Yes.
Will wider tires require more steering effort. Yes. Tire designs are all a compromise. But... there are always 589's and Mudrunners

Old 03-26-2001, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

I am dissappointed that they front ones wore so fast, I do have 1800 miles on them but still I know people that have gone 3000 miles and there stock tires are not as worn as mine. When new they peform pretty well, I thought good for an all around tire. and with the great 4x4 system most of the time a super mud tire is not always needed. I think it is a good choice for a stock tire, but they do wear way to quickly. They only weight 14 lbs? how about the rear what is the weight on them?

Quick Reply: sissy tires on 500HO