Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 Polaris Scrambler 90cc Not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Polaris Scrambler 90cc Not starting

Hello, I have a 2001 Polaris Scrambler 90cc that does not want to start. It has been put away for at least 4 years without turning it on. My kids want to start using it again.

I bypassed the Tether switch by cutting and putting the two wires together, Put new gas, new spark plug, new oil and cleaned up carburetor, float and pan. Carburetor in really good condition nice and clean. Put a fresh new battery fully charged.

Electric starter does not go on, so I am using the foot pedal, does not go on at all.

I added gas to the carburetor manually and it starts for a couple of seconds and dies. (done this several times with rear brake fully pressed and bypassing tether switch and having the kill switch in the ON position) but only goes on for a couple of seconds, if I press the gas throttle during those 2 or 3 seconds its on, it accelerates, atv moves a couple of inches and dies.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Try blocking the air intake tube with you thumb and see if it starts up easier and idles ok. If it still dies,you may still have some carb problems(small orifice in the float bowl has to be open) excess fuel in the exhaust pipe,etc. If the brake light doesn't come on it could be because the starter interlock plunger on the left brake is damage or the plastic plunger is damaged. If the brake light comes on it could be a starter problem or a faulty starter relay. Item #11 is the plunger switch.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse New carbs are cheap on these little ones.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Polaris-Sportsman-90-2001-2002-2003-2004-2005-2006-Scrambler-50-90-/230951455928?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35c5c78cb8

Old 03-26-2013, 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Try blocking the air intake tube with you thumb and see if it starts up easier and idles ok. If it still dies,you may still have some carb problems(small orifice in the float bowl has to be open) excess fuel in the exhaust pipe,etc. If the brake light doesn't come on it could be because the starter interlock plunger on the left brake is damage or the plastic plunger is damaged. If the brake light comes on it could be a starter problem or a faulty starter relay. Item #11 is the plunger switch.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse New carbs are cheap on these little ones.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Polaris-Sportsman-90-2001-2002-2003-2004-2005-2006-Scrambler-50-90-/230951455928?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35c5c78cb8
Thanks for the reply, I will check that tomorrow after work, and will be back with input. Thanks

Old 03-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, so I cover up the carburator air, and still no go, the starter goes on but not the brake light. I checked the plunger on the brake and was corroded, I cleaned it up but still no brake light and does not turn on.

I once again put a lil bi of gas on the carb opening and it wen on for another 3 seconds, after that, not even the starter wants to work. Now it looks like there is no electricity.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDNice
Ok, so I cover up the carburator air, and still no go, the starter goes on but not the brake light. I checked the plunger on the brake and was corroded, I cleaned it up but still no brake light and does not turn on.

I once again put a lil bi of gas on the carb opening and it wen on for another 3 seconds, after that, not even the starter wants to work. Now it looks like there is no electricity.
Siting 4 years can create all sorts of problems on these little ones. Crank seals can distort over this period of time also not allowing it to run properly,carbs if not completely clean can still cause problems(cheap enough to throw away and get a new one(about $25) Plus a good compression check can tell you where you really stand. Service limit (minimum) shows to be 110 psi in the manual. If you don't have that,then could be time for a fresh top end. Check the bulb itself plus the brake wiring to see if it's getting voltage when you depress the brake lever. If not the plunger can compress enough to engage the starter but not trigger the brake light.This little plastic plunger takes a lot of abuse.