Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

550 touring - ricochet/plow conflict?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 550 touring - ricochet/plow conflict?

Hi, I want to put the full set of Ricochet armor on my new 550 touring, but wanted to check with people here about potential conflicts with snow plow mounts. This fall I want to add a plow, and didn't want to pay $500 for armor only to find out the plow mount conflicts with mounting the plow.

I am leaning toward the front mount plow systems. I really like the Eagle front mount plows as they are American made and from what I hear are quality products. Has anyone here put a front mount plow on with Ricochet armor on a 550? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:11 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

When ya find out, let me knpw cuz I haven't found the solution yet either.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Mongrol
When ya find out, let me knpw cuz I haven't found the solution yet either.
Hey Mongrol. So this is an issue then? You can't do a front mount plow with the armor?

Old 04-14-2013, 11:51 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Looks like "Black Line" would be easiest to adapt to the Richochet.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Trailblazer

So I called Eagle Plow and talked to a really helpful guy there. He sent me a copy of the install directions for the 550. It attaches with two bolts up front, and then two u-bolts under the front of the machine. He said it would bolt up over the armor. Just have to drill 4 small holes through the armor for the ubolts to come through.

Only downside though is he reccomended removing the plow mount for riding season, because you loose 3 or so inches of clearance. No bigee though as there aren't that many bolts/nuts holding it on.

Anyone else have any other experience? I would rather go with Eagle as it is made in the USA. Other option is Warn front mount although I'm not sure if it mounts up better. Would be nice if you didn't really loose clearance and could leave the mount on permanently.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

BlackLine Mounts

Check this out - no clearance lost

Old 04-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Mongrol
BlackLine Mounts

Check this out - no clearance lost
Those look really interesting. I'll have to give them a call as they don't have too much info online. I wouldn't want to go as far as the hydraulic system, but maybe they have a standard setup with a winch. If they do have a setup for the 550, I would like to see the mount instructions to see how it mounts up. I'll let you know what I find out.

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Trailblazer

So I spoke to the guy at Blackline. Very nice guy. I guess the company was recently transacted so they are working out some kinks right now, that is why some of the web content is limited. Sounds like a quality product though.

Their plow systems do not use a winch, as they believe winch setups are too slow and don't give you any downforce to really scrape. Their most basic system uses a electric actuator to raise/lower the plow. This give 500+ pounds of downforce to the plow.

Since I've never plowed with a atv I'm not sure if this is overkill, and might be on the expensive side once I look into it more. He is going to email me the mount schematic so I can see how it bolts up to the 550.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Trailblazer

I also called the ATV superstore and they reccomended the Eagle Mid Mount setup for the 550. It is supposedly stronger than the front mount, as they have seen some front mount frame damage from front mount plows on this ATV.

Also the universal mounting plate can bolt up over the ricochet skids.

I am just a little concerned I will have plow lift height problems with mid mount. Anyone know how high you can lift a mid mount plow?

Old 04-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mcordani
So I spoke to the guy at Blackline. Very nice guy. I guess the company was recently transacted so they are working out some kinks right now, that is why some of the web content is limited. Sounds like a quality product though.

Their plow systems do not use a winch, as they believe winch setups are too slow and don't give you any downforce to really scrape. Their most basic system uses a electric actuator to raise/lower the plow. This give 500+ pounds of downforce to the plow.

Since I've never plowed with a atv I'm not sure if this is overkill, and might be on the expensive side once I look into it more. He is going to email me the mount schematic so I can see how it bolts up to the 550.
Down force is great when you're on a decent smoother surface like tar, concrete, or a nicely graded dense pack/stone dust. If you have a lot of rough spots it's a bit better in my book not to have that much. I think the weight of a metal plow is good enough in my experience. I've plowed dry, slightly moist, and very wet snow this season. Some of which got packed by my wife and my son going off to work. It's done fine getting down to my blacktop. The thing that really limits the damage on any plow is how hard the trip springs are set. If you have them set to tightly you and the quad are going to feel it most. Too loose and it won't scrape the pavement like it should. I guess you just want to follow the manufacturers recommendations on that.

Quick Reply: 550 touring - ricochet/plow conflict?