Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

what wrong now!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation what wrong now!

a couple days ago i took my sportsman 500 for a ride and i was going about 55mph, then it all of a sudden bogged like it ran out of fuel and sputtered a little but i kept riding and it seemed ok after. but then yesterday i took it for a cruise and it didn't have as much power, as if i was only using 3/4 throttle when i had it wide open. any idea? i really need to figure this out quick. thanks in advance

Old 06-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Range Rover

its got fresh gas, a new plug, new air filter, it still goes 55mph just the accelleration its "right there"

Old 06-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Range Rover

i just drove it and EVERY time i go fast around top speed it backfires like crazy and wants to stop, help!

Old 06-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Is the slack in your throttle cable set right? should have 1/8 of an inch at thumb throttle.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Range Rover

how do you measure cable slack, i don't know where the 1/8 is

Old 06-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Range Rover

i adusted it to 1/8" throttle lever slack and it seemed like it didn't backfire anymore but still seemed a littlle sluggish

Old 06-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mad-atver
a couple days ago i took my sportsman 500 for a ride and i was going about 55mph, then it all of a sudden bogged like it ran out of fuel and sputtered a little but i kept riding and it seemed ok after. but then yesterday i took it for a cruise and it didn't have as much power, as if i was only using 3/4 throttle when i had it wide open. any idea? i really need to figure this out quick. thanks in advance
Check that the drive clutch slotted jam nut hasn't backed off,will cause speed limiting if it does. Will either be metal or plastic.Locktite and a small flat punch will secure it in place if it has backed off.Item #8. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Problem could be the jam nut, clutch wear,belt wear or could be fuel related(dirt/trash in carb jets, fuel pump) according to your description of what it's doing.Could even be the limiter in the speedo pod shorting out? Plus being a 2005 model the ecm module can and did cause all sorts of problems.Even the US made replacements. You just have to eliminate one thing at a time and move on to the next.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Range Rover

doubt its clutch or belt wear because the polaris dealer looked at it and put a new belt on. whats the easiest thing to check next?

Old 06-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If it's not getting full power,easiest thing to check first is pull the fuel line to the carb,crank the engine over and see if you have fuel flow through the fuel line.If you do ,could be as simple as a piece of trash, black specs from internal eroding fuel lines because of ethanol fuel either partially stopping up the main jet or needle and seat area. I've had this happen with the crappy fuel we have now.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Range Rover

well there definitly was fuel flow, should i try some sea-foam? whats the best way to introduce sea-foam to the carb?

Quick Reply: what wrong now!