Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

what would cause 02 magnum to pull to one side?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would cause 02 magnum to pull to one side?

can someone tell me what engages the 4x4? what would cause the machine to pull to one side or the other in 2x4?

looking at the parts fiche it just shows the carrier assembly, i'm assuming it's a locker of some sort. but what's causing the pulling i wonder? there is a carrier assembly on ebay, i don't see anything special. thanks

ok update. I found a link to a similar magnum manual on here and am educating myself on the front differential. needless to say i am reading up on plenty " special ". coil, armature plate, roller cage oh my! I guess it's not like the 4 or 5 scrambler/sportsman diffs i have in the shed. thanks for the link and thanks again to all who contribute to the forum!

Old 08-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

4 wheel drive is electro/mechanical operated. Has current going a to a coil, an armature plate engages/disengages and a roll cage that locks in to the hubs. A lot of times it's a magnetized armature plate in the hubs that causes the awd to engage even if in 2 wheel mode. This was the most common cause of pulling to one side. You can change the hub fluid first to see if this helps,if it doesn't the armature plates need to be replaced and the hub parts checked out. Same set up whether a 325 or 500 Magnum.Item #4.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Plus plenty of videos on YouTube on this.
Plus here's a link to a cheap 5 buck manual that can help on repair if needed.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2002-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 08-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Trailblazer

hello opt. i don't get around here much but when i do it's always you who helps me out. whether in a direct post or in a search, i find answers from you. so thank you again.

thats the thing. it seems ( i don't have the machine in my gruby mitts to look at it first hand) but it seems the magnum does not have hilliards in the hubs. it looks like the axles are splined to the hubs.

I have been reading on the central hilliard in the front differential in the link you posted for the manual for the magnum 330.

something inside the differential must be tore up to make it grab and pull to one side. It looks like there are two different differentials. available, I'm very confused.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The centralized awd in the front differential is on the later model atvs. The 2002 Magnum,Sportsman,etc still have the awd in the hubs. A good manual on your specific model can go a long way on helping with repairs. Wait until you get the machine in hand so you know exactly what you're dealing with.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:37 AM
Trailblazer

True, I don't know why I do this to myself. I probably have over three hours into looking into this.

I will figure out what I have first, fingers crossed for hub clutches

Old 08-16-2013, 07:11 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

One of you hubs is locking or no locking when it should. All Polaris 4x4 had the locking hubs up to 2003 I think.

I had that happen and got lucky that fresh hub fluid fixed it.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:18 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I was gonna guess it was the NASCAR Limited Edition, but I think I'll go with what the others have said.

Youtube clips are great helpers when I'm about to work on anything. Gives you a feel you don't get from the manuals. If you have both and the tools to do the job, you're set to go.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Trailblazer

I got the machine, It's a vin 2002 magnum, registered as a 2003. it does not have hub clutches. I have no knowledge of any other system besides the hub clutches.

I tried to drive the machine ( very sandy soil ) I had it in 2x4, and i could feel the left and right front tires pulling one at a time independently. I thought, ok that's a problem. after about 10' I felt it bind up and the rear of the machine actually squatted down because of the force ( swing arm machine ). I was just putting taking it very easy of coarse and let off right away, but wow! I think it is the front binding that made the rear of the machine squat. it reminded me of the kids toy airplane powered by the rubberband. twisting the propeller tighter and tighter until it stops. I don't really understand how the force threw the rotation of a shaft could force the rear to squat.? But it did squat, it did it twice, then i stopped doing it because i thought something was going to break. I'm not sure what's going on with this thing.

I'm guessing the front differential is just locked up or damaged. I guess I have the centralized hilliard differential.

It's a neat machine, I'm exited to have it, it will be fun to work on.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Must be the 2002 Magnum 500 as it did have the centralized awd. The 325 Magnum awd was in the hubs. Common problem on these were the armature plates manetizing and roll cages cracking. Plus don't over look the prop shaft collar leading to the rear diff. Most people don't grease this and it can strip out not allowing the rear wheels to turn. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Item #17 on the coupler.http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2002&fveh=5577

Old 08-22-2013, 10:46 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If its the Centralized locking front diff rather then locking hubs you may need to look at your Roller cage.
When Polaris switch they made their hillary roller cage out of weaker plastic vs metal like the hub system had, plus the hub set up had two not one Hillary doing the work.