Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1996 Sportsman 500 Won't Crank

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Sportsman 500 Won't Crank

Hey guys,

I have installed a engine i bought from a ATV Shop on ebay. They will refund me or fix my engine completely free if it does indeed have a knocking noise.

Anyways, The engine doesn't sound like it even wants to turn over. (I know the engine works as polaris cranked it up without me there)

I accidentally broke the handle off the recoil starter and the bendix just grinds against the flywheel. (This is a brand new Bendix...)

Old 09-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You know it works since they cranked it up without you being there.
If you broke the handle from the recoil starter after you replaced the bendix,just pull the cover and see if anything,rope,misc recoil parts are floating around that might be the cause. Plus you mentioned earlier that you didn't have the thin washer behind the bendix,plus if either the starter bushing in the cover or the one in the engine case is galled or nicked,it can cause bendix engagement problems.Might also be a good idea to check the stator pick up coil for any damage or for any trash around/under under the flywheel.#9 is the starter bushing in the recoil cover.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 09-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
You know it works since they cranked it up without you being there.
If you broke the handle from the recoil starter after you replaced the bendix,just pull the cover and see if anything,rope,misc recoil parts are floating around that might be the cause. Plus you mentioned earlier that you didn't have the thin washer behind the bendix,plus if either the starter bushing in the cover or the one in the engine case is galled or nicked,it can cause bendix engagement problems.Might also be a good idea to check the stator pick up coil for any damage or for any trash around/under under the flywheel.#9 is the starter bushing in the recoil cover.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
I found a similar size washer and the bendix will stick out and pop back in. I also took apart the recoil starter and i'm gonna try to fix it. I am going to try again since the battery is charged up. Do you think it could be the spark plug?

I'm sorry, the bendix does it's thing, but it doesn't when installed.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Nope..Not unless you have the wrong one,even then I'd just recheck the bendix and/recoil area and the flywheel itself for any damaged teeth.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Nope..Not unless you have the wrong one,even then I'd just recheck the bendix and/recoil area and the flywheel itself for any damaged teeth.
Ok, the teeth are perfect.

When the bendix sticks out, it turns the Flywheel around about 4 inches then it gets stuck. The flywheel is pretty hard to turn by my hands but i can do it. (It gets hard, but once i do it it flies back down easily.)

I am trying to take the flywheel off, but its like stuck? :?

Old 09-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Range Rover

Fourwheeler cranked right up. Bendix is now sticking out and back in.

I had it running for about 30 seconds before it bogged down. I think i need to adjust the carburetor.

Also, the exhaust got extremely hot within 20 seconds and started smoking a bit.

Could this be because i haven't cranked it in four months with the exhaust on and it was left outside at Polaris?

Old 09-11-2013, 04:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sitting outside uncovered for 4 months can cause all sort of problems. Yes I'd install a carb kit,don't just try to clean a carb.Polaris Carburetor Kits | ATV Parts | MFG Supply