Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Instrument Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Troubles

Well, I have been getting by without them but.........its irking me now. The fuel gauge hasn't worked since I bought the 2008 Sportsman 800. Now, the trip meter and the speedometer and trip monitor are not working either. What are some of the common troubles with these issues? Im just looking for a place to start.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like you have a faulty hall effect sensor. Item #11 located on the right front brake caliper and goes to the speedo housing to register speed and miles accumulated. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Also on this model the float assy could be saturated if it doesn't show any fuel level. Saw somewhere(can't remember off hand) where some have been able to find replacements for the float. You might research this.Or it could be the float is touching the side of the tank and not able to move.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Polaris...-/400564025904

Old 09-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help on the hall effect sensor OPT! I have one on order and should see it soon.

Meanwhile, last weekend was Rush Off-Roads Mud Madness. To make it even better, it rained until noon making everything very sloppy. FUN FUN FUN. Throughout the day I noticed that when my fan kicked on that it sounded weak but it would kick in and out the whole 6 hour ride. I actually didn't overheat until I was about 100 yards from our campsite. I just figured that I had too much mud stuck in both sides of the radiator and in the fan.

I come home and go through the normal routine of power washing the access mud from the exterior so I can take normal water pressure to both sides of the radiator. I have the same routine over and over when cleaning the radiator. I remove the front tool box and unplug all the connections to the little box in front of the radiator and disconnect the plug to the fan. I also remove the fan so I can get a good shot of running water through those fins to clean both sides until clear.

Now I have this problem. Everything is good and clean so I put everything back together. I topped off my radiator fluids by jacking up the front end as you have suggested before. I take it for a very small ride to heat it up a little and park it in the yard and let it idle to let the fan cycle a couple of times. It finally gets hot enough to kick on the fan and two things happened. The fan still sounds weak and the instrument panel went blank and then started flashing on and off with every symbol that could light up. What the heck just happened?

That was enough for me to quit for the night so before I can ride this weekend, I am heading to the garage right after work. Any ideas? Is something still wet? did I short circuit something? Im clueless. I will disconnect the battery when I get home and see.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like you need to go back in and blow any moisture from the connections and use some dielectric grease. Power washers can cause all sorts of problems on electrical wiring and components. I've had plenty dragged up to the shop after people have done this.Simple things like making sure the battery cables are tight and having the battery load tested for a shorted cell may be causing the slow fan operation, plus you can test the fan motor for how many amps it's drawing. Unplug the sensor connector on the cylinder,hook a dc ammeter to the fan wires to see how many amps it draws when you turn the key on and the fan kicks on. If it draws more than 15 amps,might be time for a new fan.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks OPT. I wish you were my neighbor!!!

Old 09-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by jeepcreeptj
Thanks OPT. I wish you were my neighbor!!!
Then I'd be in a position to charge you......

Old 09-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

I pay in Miller Lites? But all kidding aside. I think of how you help us all of us lost souls is pretty darn special. You are a good good man to do this day in and day out.