Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

All Polaris 500 owners please read...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-1999, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I need a big favor from you guys. I stripped the oil drain plug out of my '99 Scrambler 500. I need to replace the oil reservoir case but I have a problem. When I took the two hoses off (oil feed and oil return) I did not look where they came from. They both go to the motor in front, one on top of the other. If you could trace the hose from the bottom of the oil reservoir (oil feed) and tell me if it goes on the bottom or top fitting on the engine case I would appreciate it greatly. Please make sure you understand the question because if I get it wrong, I will starve the motor for oil. Nevermind the hose at the very top. This is a breather hose that goes to the breather box and does not concern me. Just check the very bottom hose on the oil reservoir case and that would be great. I was using a torque wrench to try and avoid this crap happening but oh well. I was using a 1/2" 10 - 150 ft pds set at 16lbs. Maybe it is to big for such a small pd job. My guess is that it's not accurate at very low settings. It's back to the gut feeling tightness setting with a 1/4" rachet. Thks to all that respond! Happy trails...

WillieB - '99 Scrambler 500

[This message has been edited by Willie B (edited 08-22-1999).]

Old 08-22-1999, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with AC454.

Replacing a case because of a stripped hole sounds like using a thermo-nuclear device to kill a housefly.

I'd try a Pep Boys First Oversize plug first; followed by a Second Oversize; if those didn't work; I'd think about helicoil with a gasket; failing that, I'd drill and tap to the next larger plug size.

There also exist way cool "piggyback" plugs; larger diameter plugs with removable inner plugs; hey, I'd consider those, even if I had to weld the case bottom--case replacement is a labor-intenseive, expensive drag.

Replace the case? The last desperate act when driven up against the wall, when all else has failed.

BTW, 16 ft-lbs sounds a nominal torque. For 1/2"-12 mm diameter (the size of many oil drain plugs) bolts, recommended maximum fastener torque for 24ST-4 aluminum is about 25 ft-lbs; thus, 16 ft-lbs seems within the ballpark.

Willie, you don't know your own strength! (I'm kidding, I'm too often the victim of my own unfortunate maintenance/repair attempts.)

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 08-22-1999).]

Old 08-22-1999, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer

Willie, the bottom hose goes to the top of the tank on my SP500.
Also I agree with the previous post, there are many fixes before replacing the case.
Dave Formstone
98 SP500 EBS.

Old 08-22-1999, 02:13 PM
Range Rover

Just wondering if you tried a self-tapping oversized plug first, before you started changing your case??

Old 08-22-1999, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer

The case will only take about 10min. to put back on. It's only $30 quoted on the phone by a Polaris dealer. I'm going in to order one Mon. morn. If that's all it costs, I'd rather replace it than try to fix it.

Also, dformsto, your saying the BOTTOM HOSE ON THE MOTOR, goes to the TOP OF THE OIL TANK, right? Adam sent me a picture of it and is what I think I see but it doesn't hurt to check with other people to make sure. After all, it is very important that I get it right. In a little while I'll put the pic on my web sight at

www.gate.net/~ke4iaj

You can look at it if you want. I think yours should be the same way since they are the same motor. The sight is temp. so it's only pics. Thks to all...

WillieB - Non running (my fault) '99 Scrambler 500

Old 08-22-1999, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your choice, Willie; I reckon there's cases, and then, there's cases. "Case" in general refers to a major, major component of an ATV or motorcycle's engine, to me; I betray how unfamiliar I am with Polaris equipment. I doubt Kawasai or Honda will sell an engine "case," as I know them, for $ 30.

A First or Second Oversize Plug from Pep Boys will cost you about $ 3 and will take about a minute to screw in, putting you back on the air immediately, if it works. If it doesn't? You're only $ 3/plug and a minute worse off than you were before. If you'd rather wait for a $ 30 factory replacement case; as I said, your choice. Good luck!

Tree Farmer

Old 08-22-1999, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Absolutly Tree Farmer! Even if a stock replacement case is $30, consider the amount of time it would take you to pull the motor to get it on. I've never had to replace a case on any machine personally, but from what I've seen it is no easy task, especialy on a Polaris.

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer

Old 08-22-1999, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

I Have a feeling the "case' that is being replaced is not an engine case but one half of the oil tank for the dry sump. Is that correct , tank located behind the left front fender.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 08-23-1999, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

Kagey is right, he doesn't have to pull the motor to do what he is doing. I think the word case is the wrong word for this application. Or maybe clarify by saying "oil reservoir case" as compared to "engine case".

Scott Colson
98 Scrambler 500 - still in the shop.

Old 08-23-1999, 12:56 AM
Trailblazer

That is exactly right Kevin. I just reviewed my first post and it is confusing, so I edited it to hopefully be clearer. Sorry about that. I do appreciate the replies, and will consider the oversized plug. "Case" may not be the right term here, sorry guys, my fault! The case I am refering to is not part of the engine. The 500 4-stroke Polaris is a dry sump system which means most of the oil is in a seperate container. On this oil container there is a drain plug and of course, this is how you change the oil. That is also what is stripped out. It took me 5min. to take it off so I figured about 10min max to put it back on. You can see the oil sump container on the right side of the bottom picture on my web page.

www.gate.net/~ke4iaj

The only problem about the oversized plug is that I'm in a pretty small town and have never seen a Pep Boys except on a TNN commercial. There are a few other auto parts stores in town. I don't know if they would carry it or not so please tell me a little more about it. I thought that to put a bigger bolt in it, you would have to make new threads first. The threads are stripped out on the plug and inside the case. I already have the case off of the machine and into two pieces. So it may be easier for me just to replace the case since I have to put the old one back on any way. Any other comments welcome, thanks again for all replies.

WillieB-99 Scrambler 500

Quick Reply: All Polaris 500 owners please read...