Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

`02 Sportsman 500, cold start extremes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine has to sit in a small uninsulated unheated shed. we have has some -10 to -15f nights here in Mn. I need it for plowing my driveway. it starts right up with 10w-30 no doubt wiping my exhaust lobe off my cam with every start.

You should make sure you get full choke on your choke cable, it's very important in cold temps. (make sure it's adjusted properly.) If your not getting full choke it could cause extra wear and tear getting it up and running in extreme temps, or cause it to not start at all.

If it's super cold, or something has been sitting for a long time i will usually give it full choke and gently pull on the choke lever assembly ( flip choke style ) to see if there is any more cable as i'm cranking. any little bit can help. lol

Old 12-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

I charged the battery and she still wouldn`t start and stay running. Once in a while it would start and die. It`s been sitting under a cover for 2 weeks while we had some nasty damp weather which can`t help. So I charged battery again and used a small space heater for 30 minutes. Turned key with no choke and she fired up and purred. It could probably use a carb clean but I`ll limp it along as it runs really good and I can heat it if needed. I`m going to try the pull start again,tomorrow, just to see. It just doesn`t seem like pulling that slow can start it. I bought this ATV ,my first, last February. It never started right but allways started. What I`ve learned about it is if it sits a couple weeks it seems to need cranking to get fuel in the carb. Sometimes full choke works, other times not. (doesn`t seem logical) It`s been rode hard andput away wet (6,000mi.). I can start it inside the garage and it burns clean, doesn`t fume me out. It`s puzzling to me about the choke.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

you have to pull the rope hard and fast to get it going. I use the rope all winter here in Winnipeg to start my 500. its easier on the battery and starter. I also use 1oz of isopropel gas line antifrezze/gallon of gas in the cold. it been at -20C here for a week now for a high temp. the iso keeps the carbs from icing up when you ride in the snow or plow.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to pull start mine today just to move it. It's not on a battery tender and it's parked outside all year because I don't have a garage. I guess it hasn't been run in over a month and it took 3 pulls to start it. When I plow I let it idle awhile when I'm done and I'll probably use it enough to keep the battery charged. XX fingers crossed XX. I have sta-bil and seafoam in the gas.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:34 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I had to pull start mine today just to move it. It's not on a battery tender and it's parked outside all year because I don't have a garage. I guess it hasn't been run in over a month and it took 3 pulls to start it. When I plow I let it idle awhile when I'm done and I'll probably use it enough to keep the battery charged. XX fingers crossed XX. I have sta-bil and seafoam in the gas.
I`m intirigued. Now I believe it`s possible but not on my P.O.S. I know you guys aren`t lying to me so will keep trying to pull start it. I have injured my hands in the past on snowmobiles so am reluctant. Also I know my carb aint right but it purrs once it`s going.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's hard for me to pull it fast enough to start but I just hold on tight and pull with both hands. Mine is an EFI. I don't know if a carb model is easier or harder to start.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:34 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

All 500s have the auto decompression system.
You can boost start it off a car and spray some quick start in the air box if your in a hurry to get it up and running without using the pull rope or have a drained battery.

Once it idles for 10 minutes the battery should be back to heath.