Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 Sportsman starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 Sportsman starting issues

I've got a 2003 sportsman 700. Just got it in August. Ran great for a few weeks but now....
When cold starting turn key to start...it fires,but won't start.
Must turn key all the way back to off position, then turn to start to get a fire again, but still won't start. If key left to on position after start attempt without turning back to off...no fire.
Above happens whether I choke it, or not. Give a little throttle, no throttle, hold throttle wide open...still fire only, no start.
I've cleaned carburetor, but did not take out air flow adjustment...simply not comfortable drilling out the brass cap that, from what I've read, hides the air flow adjustment.
Cleaned carb twice. After each cleaning got machine to start, and it ran ok. Idles ok, but doesn't run smooth at high end of throttle.
Seems to be temperature dependent. When I work on it in my shop I turn the heat up. When ambient temp is about 60F for awhile (machine is at ambient) it starts. But when I let it sit overnight ambient temp drops to about 35F. This is when the above fire and no start happens.
Also, when I try holding throttle open when attempting to start it backfires. If I do get it running and open up throttle, or "punch it" it backfires.
A couple times it's stalled after running, but not when the machine is warmed up
I just changed oil and air filter. It has spark to both cylinders.
I've read some info on ignition system and carb adjustment...just not ready to drill out air flow cap, or spend $450 on ignition system until I feel more comfortable about what might be going on.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Best thing to do at this point is to stop. Replace the failing Ducati ignition with the updated #2202602 Kokusan kits. Many posts on here about the 2002 to early 2004 700 ignition problem and the fix. Kit's come complete with a new stator,flywheel,cdi,coil,regulator,jumper harness and instructions. Kit is around $500. You can check Cycle Parts Warehouse,Cheap Cycle Parts,etc as to the best prices.Don't waste your time trying to replace parts on this system! Here's the pdf instructions.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...-pWDCJ6PP51BEA

Old 01-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

Ignition time...

Old 01-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Cheech2112
I've got a 2003 sportsman 700. Just got it in August. Ran great for a few weeks but now....
When cold starting turn key to start...it fires,but won't start.
Must turn key all the way back to off position, then turn to start to get a fire again, but still won't start. If key left to on position after start attempt without turning back to off...no fire.
Above happens whether I choke it, or not. Give a little throttle, no throttle, hold throttle wide open...still fire only, no start.
I've cleaned carburetor, but did not take out air flow adjustment...simply not comfortable drilling out the brass cap that, from what I've read, hides the air flow adjustment.
Cleaned carb twice. After each cleaning got machine to start, and it ran ok. Idles ok, but doesn't run smooth at high end of throttle.
Seems to be temperature dependent. When I work on it in my shop I turn the heat up. When ambient temp is about 60F for awhile (machine is at ambient) it starts. But when I let it sit overnight ambient temp drops to about 35F. This is when the above fire and no start happens.
Also, when I try holding throttle open when attempting to start it backfires. If I do get it running and open up throttle, or "punch it" it backfires.
A couple times it's stalled after running, but not when the machine is warmed up
I just changed oil and air filter. It has spark to both cylinders.
I've read some info on ignition system and carb adjustment...just not ready to drill out air flow cap, or spend $450 on ignition system until I feel more comfortable about what might be going on.
Just a thought here but did you check the boot from the carb to the head? When it's cracked it runs like crap, especially at anything more than half throttle.