Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Chain Drive care

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-1999, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I,d mention a great product that I used when I had chain driven 4-wheelers .Some of you are probly familiar with it. Maxima Chain Wax this is a great product for o-ring chains. I feel like it more than doubled chain life on my machines when I used it. As you know its not recomended to oil an o ring chain because of the tendancy of oils to attract dirt and cause friction that grinds away at the metal. But the dry lube of the wax and its sealing action really seemed to help the life of my chains. reduced the amount of adjusting a lot to. Any one else ever use this or some other product that you felt made a diffrence there are a lot of chain driven machines out there and maybe if we share how to care for them we can help them enjoy their machines more.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 08-27-1999, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer

Where can you get this stuff at? I've been looking for a better solution for o-ring chains. I use a chain lube in a can but it seems really sticky after it drys, like it might atract sand, dirt, etc. I read an article in DW that says to just use WD-40 on an o-ring chain, anybody ever done this? Seems logical. The actual o-rings would be lubed and the WD-40 would not attract dirt as bad as other heavy lubes, but I'm still leary. I think a "wax" job may do even better at sealing and repeling crud. Anyone else have any other ideas?

WillieB - '99 Scrambler 500

Old 08-27-1999, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

Our dealer stocks the wax after many request for it. I have seen the adds in Dirt wheels look for Maxima adds. The last I ordered came from Dennis Kirk they ussually have ads in all the atv publications. You will love this stuff if you can find it.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 08-27-1999, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

I've been using Maxima Chain Wax on all of our o-ring type dirt bike, atv, street bike chains for over 5 years now and have not replaced a chain on anything yet.

Jeff Crolli got me started on it. I clean the chain first with kerosene and a grunge brush. Let it dry good. Spray with chain wax. In fact, all of our chains look like new.

<A HREF="http://www.godigital-design.com/schultzmotorsports">Schultz Motorsports</A>