Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Excesive PVT belt dust Scrambler 400???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-1999, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 98 Scrambler 400, my problem is the belt dust from the PVT is getting into the airfilter as well as turning the plastic under and around the seat black. The stock airfilters outer foam cover which is yellow in color would turn black with the dust so I bought a K&N with an outerware cover and the dust is so fine it plugs up the outerware cover! I took it to the dealer who blew out the clutch area with compressed air and checked the belt and said it was OK. Is anyone else having the same problem ? I don't really want to replace the belt if I don't have to as there isn't many hours on the machine. Other than this problem the Scrambler runs great! I'm thinking of a pipe replacement soon. Any suggestions for a good one? Thanks Kevin

Old 09-04-1999, 11:33 PM
Range Rover

Well if you are going to seriously look into buying a new pipe I would go with DynoPort. I currently own a DynoPort pipe and it is like a night and day difference. It adds around 10HP to your machine without having to do anything with the clutch. AWESOME POWER> One of the main reasons that I did go with the DynoPort is because it is bolt on power and no clutching. I installed mine in less than an hour. If you are interested look here: www.dynoport.com. On the dust, I dont really know what would take care of that problem.
Well if you have any more questions let me know.

Chuck '99 Scrambler 400, Dynoport pipe, DG Kromelite Bumper

Old 09-05-1999, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

If you have dust getting up to the carb you're case may not have been sealed right. It is not uncommon for these PVT's to create dust. They should be "dusted" of every couple of months or so, depending on your riding style.

As far as pipes go, get a Ritter or HPD pipe and spend the extra $$ for a new spring. You wont believe the difference and extra $20 and 1/2 hour of your time will do to your machine. They all add about the same amount of HP to the ATV. The difference is where in the powerband it kicks in at!

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer

Old 09-06-1999, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer

Get a roller clutch kit and make CVT dust a thing of the past. Also enjoy the extra performance you will gain with this upgrade.

Chris P.
99 Scrambler 500

Old 09-07-1999, 06:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

A clutch upgrade should be the first mod done to a Polaris! They launch and shift much better with an upgraded clutch.

RoostKing

Old 09-07-1999, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Kevin,

Excessive dust from the PVT? You might want to look to make sure the intake and exhaust tubes are sealed correctly.

You might also want to check the foam gasket which goes all around the PVT cover.

It doesn't make too much sense that you are getting that much dust into the airbox. You might want to check for intake leaks on the airbox.

Good Luck,

RM

Old 09-08-1999, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey thanks guys for the replies! The dust I'm talking about is from the drive belt. It's very black and sooty and is staining the white plastic around the seat of the machine as well as plugging up the filter. I guess I was wondering if anyone elses scrambler is doing the same thing? I haven't taken the front plastic off of the machine yet as to expose the vent tubes maybe they need to be adjusted or turned a different way to redirect the air away from the airbox. Anyway this machine ROCKS so I really haven't wanted to tear into it if I don't have to. Thanks again to all who have posted replies!

Old 09-12-1999, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

There should not be that much dust even from a stock pvt. A little bit, not nothing excessive at all. Sounds like there needs to be an adjustment made, possibly a shim added or taken off, etc. Clutch misalignment usually causes this. If the clutch has not been gone over since it was new, that's probably all it is. It's a quick simple fix.

<A HREF="http://www.godigital-design.com/schultzmotorsports">Schultz Motorsports</A>