Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sky Rap, Dss Dad, Yo Mama's H.O.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great ride Sunday, Took the new DS-650 back where it shouldn't go. It did okay, but beat me up pretty good in the process. The Sportsman handles these rough mountain mining roads just fine, this is not sport quad work.
Then on the way back ran into a guy on a Raptor also out on his first big ride. We talked, about how neither of us got any test rides, and how decieving parking lot test rides are anyway. SO we SWAPPED and rode up some nice fast sandwashes and some rough rocky canyon trail.
I liked the Raptor. What's the big deal anyway?
these 650's have the kind of power ATV's should have. The DS is bigger and badder and heavier.
It is faster and more stabile, the Raptor is more nimble, but slides just fine, and handled the fast sandwash better than expected.
Neither can keep up with a Sportsman or even an EXP on a rough trail, period. The Polaris cushy ride gets you through the rough stuff faster 'cause you don't feel it, and the tires follow the ground, where the sport quads bounce. Rough stuff is rocks, lots and lots of rocks, big ones, small ones, and everything in between.
So whats it going to be? Well I do like the DS, it slides and powers like nothing else. The Raptor is going to be for Skyler, age 12, 80 lbs,
4'10". He can handle my DS just fine, but thinks the front end is too heavy in the whoops and to catch big air, I agree. He has outgrown his EXP despite a H.O. cam and 42mm Mikuni.
The H.O. Sportsman is for Mom, and a rescue, rookie, exploration, and just all around great ride. Thing is, other than the sandwashes, it goes almost as fast as the hot rods, you just don't feel that rush of acceleration like you do with the 650s, and in the rough stuff is in a class by itself.
Both these hot rods need a 6-speed gear box with a low gear for trail riding. Both need better ground clearance, the XCT's help. Real independent rear suspension would be fantastic on these things.
The Raptor needs a wider rear axle, at least.
The DS needs softer front suspension,(Works Steelers, $339 on order) at least. Timmy Boy A-arms and XCT's are a big help for both. Reverse on the Raptor is great.

Old 04-02-2001, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its the weight of the sp500 that helps the irs so much