Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500cc Sportsman repairs and Milage

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-1999, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to know how many Polaris 98 and 99 Sportsman owners are out here?Please inform me of your repair problems, and the amount of miles you have on your 4x4.Let me know if you've had NO problems too.I'd like to know what you use your 4x4 for as well,[work-play or both]How often do you change your oil and filter?Please give me your HONEST opionion of your quad.Thanks----BILL

------------------

Old 09-07-1999, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill, my ’99 Sportsman was bought the end of April this year. It has just over 1100 miles on it now. I replaced the rear pads and rotor at 550. After having two other Sportsmans that went almost 1000 without needing brakes (the ’97 didn’t even have EBS) this was a real surprise to me and it got bad enough that the rotor needed to be replaced before I caught it. However my dealer warranteed both the pads and the rotor. Brakes again all around at 1100 miles (last week). I replaced a loose right outer tie rod end last weekend, also warranteed. I use Polaris oil and filters, changed first at 250, again at 750 and will every 500 miles after that. We ride every other weekend and put on up to 150 miles a ride. The air prefilters get washed after each weekend we ride (having a couple “spares” is nice, then you just swap them while the washed ones dry). I grease, check fluids and inspect (particularly the CV boots and axle seals) every other ride; that’s once a month or between 100-300 miles. Where we ride there’s no sand. On every trip we cross rapidly flowing rivers that have been rack-deep but are usually only about 6” over the floorboards, and water-filled mud holes just as deep. (I’ve never had a belt slip due to water but once had the problem with snow) Our usual terrain is mud, water, swampy, hilly and rocky. We sometimes find ourselves picking through rock fields, and after the BIG wind a month ago we’ve been doing lots of log-hoping. We choose this area BECAUSE of the diverse terrain.

My honest opinion? Well, after three Sportsmans and the two Magnums my wife has had, that about says all I need to say. Polaris products, and my excellent dealer, have treated me right (so far).

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 09-07-1999, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

I got my '99 500 in April, I have about 300 miles on it now. Changed oil and filter at 250, clean air filter regularly, give it a good washing after every ride, grease all fittings every other ride. As I've posted before, both mine and my bro-in-laws (his was bought at the same time) have gone thru rear pads. His first set went at 70 miles, the second at 300. Mine went at around 200. He's gone thru 3 torn black bushings in the rear suspension (the ones that look like they are squashed) I just recently noticed 2 or 3 of mine are ripping(one pretty bad). As far as the engine, they both run great. I do rough trail riding, I don't baby it at all, I also use it around the yard for hauling or dragging heavy items(pulled out a large tree stump no problem). I read your problems, and I know alot of SP500 owners, none have had problems like yours. Its got to be a rare incident. If the rest of the ATV is sound, you should try to get a brand new engine out of them, don't bother with the one you have, it doesn't sound like its worth the effort.

Old 09-07-1999, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

Had 2 98's until they were stolen,got one back,so now have 98&99.No problems with either one,haven't had brake problems.Knock on wood.98 has over 1500 miles 99 little over 1000,change oil at 500 then every 1000,grease once year.Clean air filters each time we go out.We really give them run for the money,ride some real rough areas.Most of our riding is rocks some mud an water throwed in for good measure.We ride with 8 500,s dont know of any major problems with any of them.Talked to guy in the hills this weekend had 2 500's said no problems.Said he bought his because lot of his buddies have them an were happy.

Old 09-07-1999, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Corn, I HIGHLY RECCAMEND greasing more than just once a year.

Old 09-07-1999, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOU GUYS,keep up the postings on the Sportsmans.We even want to include the Magnums in on this report.I need to gather as much evidence from this forum that I can.XGZX,[member]You mentioned my 4x4 being a rare incident,thanks,I agree.That is exactly my point for this forum.I need to gather as much testimonals on your Sportsmans and Magnums as possible and submit them to my lawyer.You guys can guess whats going to happen from there. THANKS BILL

Old 09-07-1999, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Bill; I have a Magnum 500 now and have been a Polaris owner since 1994 have had no major problems with any of them . The 500 is about a year old soon to have 1000 miles on it and I have not had any problems with it not even a screw loose. I service 6 sportsman 500s 1of the 6 has had some parts failures in the driveline but it is a early model machine and its owner is a big guy who is rough on his equipment. The other 5 have had routine maintanence and brake work done pretty well on schedule. Most of these are 97 models also 1 is a 98. I change my oil at 500 miles clean the air filter as neccesary and grease after any ride in water which here is about every trip. I likly take a little better care of mine than what would be considered average.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

[This message has been edited by Kagey (edited 09-07-1999).]

Old 09-07-1999, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

Bill, My S500 is a 98 bought in February of 98. Now have 3800 relatively hard miles of all 4 seasons driving in N.E. Pa. Lots of water, mud, coal silt, etc..
Maintenance consists of oil, full greasing (thanks floodrunner for the grease needle tip) every 3 months. I also grease the Ujoints twice in 3 months. All three brakes replaced by dealer at 1st service-850 miles. He is good and used the severe duty pads on the rear, they don't yet make the fronts this style, but I think EBC does. I had to replace the rear pads again at 3300 miles, the fronts were good as new.

Teh quad had an annoying "groan" in the rear end which the dealer could not find (he really did try). Greasing the slip joints through the boots (floodrunner's deal) immediately cured the problem, so I just continue to do it. Actually, I think Polaris screwed up when they eliminated the grease fitting in late 97. The slip joint is supposed to be greased for life, but NOT!

Tires are the ususal OEM low end.

I changed all the fluids again at 3300 miles and everything looked very OK.

One lession - the design of most Polaris plastic is such that if you really splash into water, you get ingestion into the intake. The airbox fills up and with the paper filter, you have a real mess. Problem solved, well sort of, by replacing the stock air filter with UNI. The foam type, when properly oiled will not allow water into the carb. I've had the distinct pleasure of proving this theory several times.

The engine is strong, but could be so much stronger if allowed to breathe properly. The UNI helps but jet kit is next.

Overall, the easy top quad in its class. Maybe Honda will come up with something better this thursday!

Old 09-08-1999, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer

Bill,
I bought my 99 SP 500 in March I have almost 1000 miles on it now. I've never changed the oil, but will now that I have 1000 on it. I give it a little shot grease it about every 200 miles to the suspension and the U-joints every 350 or so. ( If I pressure wash it Every thing gets a little shot a grease.)
Now for repairs At 300 miles I lost what is the equilivent of a transfer case for the 4x4. $300 for that one. Other than that I love it.
My buddy has a 98 SP 500 with just over 1600 on it the only thing He had trouble with is belts. We ride the same trails at the same pace, put them in low range on the same hills etc. and he will smoke a belt. The clutches are all adjusted right to specs. However When we put the 99 Sp belt cover(larger vent tube and snorkel) on the bike,he has'nt had any problems with it.....so far.

Jeremy
PS: Put both of these bike down for aggressive riding. and sorry to hear about the troubles you've had with yours.

Old 09-08-1999, 03:51 AM
hc
Range Rover

Bill, bought my "99" SP500 new July 1st. Don't get to ride much. Got it to just ride and use it on a hunting club I am in, 6500 acers(rough acers). I make my own trails in the cutover areas with cutover growth from 2 feet to 4 feet with rocks and fallen logs. Also on the trails I spend most of my time either going up or down and some of it is very rocky. The hills are steep in places. No mud yet hasn't rained in along time,but it is very dusty.
The "99" SP500 has 117 miles and 22 hours on it. Keep it washed mostly with a garden hose on low. Put armor all on it and mudd off on it(although haven't been in mud). Wash the pre-filter air filter every time out.Changed Oil and oil filter at 20 hours per/manual for break in change. Used Polaris oil and filter. Checked all fluids,added about a cup of polaris pre/mix coolant no leaks.Greased it once, found one u-joint in front axle with little or no grease in it. One bolt came out of the valve cover bottom coner next to gear shifter.Noticed it because of oil leaking out. Replaced it and now doesn't leak.All bolts in cover where lose.checked all bolts on frame, engine, transmission, wheels all ok. Noticed that the transmission oil needs some added to it not much. Don't see any leaks. Runs great,pulls hills very good some with lose rocks. Brakes are good but I still have low miles on it.

[This message has been edited by hc (edited 09-08-1999).]

Quick Reply: 500cc Sportsman repairs and Milage