Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris "True 4wd" problem? Help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-1999, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I changed my boot, and other boot, I didn't take apart the hub or anything, I did like you did Todd. I have stepped about 6 other people through it in e-mail, and none have seemed to run into any problems.

I think Will told me he took his hub apart when he changed the boot, but not to change the boot, it just happened at the same time. Am I close, or way off?

I was suprised how easy it was change them though, if I could get people to pay me what they pay the shops, I could make some good money.

Old 09-17-1999, 01:38 AM
Trailblazer

kb9nvh - Todd - Hi, I suppose you are a ham too...

ke4iaj here - ke4iaj@gate.net

Anyway, Todd, I see now that I did not have to take the axle out of the hub to do this job. I had no idea what I was doing at first. Seems pretty easy now. I promise you, I wish I did not take the axle out or hub off. A lot of problems followed. But, what is done is done now. I disassembled it a while ago and seems to me that it can only be a streached spring causing the premature engagement problem when in 2wd at high RPM. So I will change the spring first and see what happens.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CHANGE THE SPRING WITHOUT STRETCHING THE NEW ONE? Also, do I need to lube the metal ring with the three tabs between the back and the magnet?

Sorry for the CAPS, I just wanted to get someones attention just just may be skiming over the post.

Also, myscrambler or whoever said in the post why do I have to back up to disengage 4wd: Well, I don't, it will eventually go back into 2wd, but sometimes it takes longer to do it than I like and maybe one hub at the time. Backing up is just a sure way of doing it quick and now.

TREE FARMER - Now since I disassembled the hubs and studied them, I know how it works better, BUT, I can't explain it without pics. If it's really important to know for you, I can post pics on my temp web site for you to study and learn HOW they work as I found out a little while ago. Actually, the hub is not "locked to the axle" so to speak, even when the 4wd is engaged. It's setup so, when engaged, the hub turns with the axle in the driven direction.

If anyone may have pointers for me to get this crap all back together to work right, I'm all ears! I don't think I left anything out. I hope that little 10c spring isn't much!

Oh yeah, Adam, did you find out why your Scrambler is acting like a typical Honda 3-wheel drive? ...couldn't resist, hehe. Really, did you find the problem?

WillieB - fixin' the screamin' Scrambler 500

Old 09-17-1999, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer

I went to get the $6 spring and the mechanic talked me into trying the armature plate first. He said if I did not take the spring off, it should be ok. And to check it, turn the part with the spring around it so the rollers rise on the big hex nut in the center, then let go and see if it springs back to the middle. If it does, it's ok. He said if the armature plate ($2) was bent just slightly, then it would not work correctly and could cause the problem I have. Since it was only 2$, I'll try it tonight I guess. Anyone agree with him? Thks

WillieB

Old 09-17-1999, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WillieB said,

"Actually, the hub is not "locked to the axle" so to speak, even when the 4wd is engaged. It's setup so, when engaged, the hub turns with the axle in the driven direction."

Thanks, Willie. That's what I thought.

Again, you earn my respect because you have the guts to dig into your quad's innards yourself; sincere best wishes on your repair/maintenance project.

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 09-17-1999).]

Old 09-17-1999, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Willie B. :Sorry I did not see your post sooner. I crashed my 425 back in 98 and bentthe right front suspension badly on it. After I had it fixed the 4 wheel drive on the right front did exactly as you describe. It would engage at weird times when I got on the gas and since mine was one sided it would really get your attention. any way the problem was a bent armature plate the only way you could see it was to look at the wear pattern on the plate and you could see that it was worn more on one side than on the other changed the plate end of problem.I had hit hard enough that I had to replace the right front axle it was bent along with the lower control arm. Them trees don,t give fortunatly I was able to bail before it hit.Almost scared the guy who turned me to death.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 09-18-1999, 02:13 PM
Trailblazer

TREE FARMER - I guess you though I was explaining that the hub was "locked" to the axle and was allowed to turn forward but not backward. That surely makes no sense. When I said "4wd locked in", I guess that's what you thought. I can't explain things very well sometimes, sorry about that.

Kagey - Thanks for the reasuring info. I don't see how I could have bent the plate or stretched the spring, but something is surely wrong and I'm willing to try anything starting with the cheapest and working up slowly.

It's kind of agrivating doing your own work on your quad, really, only when it takes a while to fix a problem (like now) especially without a service manual. I plan to purchase one if I don't sell the Scrambler.

Thanks for everyones patience. I'm glad for this ATV site (even with the software change)because it helps people with almost any question. I plan to post the solution to this problem and also help other people in any way that I can. In fact, I would like to buy a volume III $50 manual and put the whole thing on my web site for people to freely view. Polaris wouldn't like it? Then they shouldn't charge $50 for it! I like Polaris for daring to be different, and they have taken well care of me. I have a certain respect for new Polaris owners to purchase a Polaris no matter the bad rep. I think Polaris quads aren't built with as good of quality in mind as maybe Honda, but they are really working for perfection and always changing things, striving to be better. Why did I buy a Polaris? Because I wanted a fast sporty 4x4 with part time 4wd and floorboards. the PVT is not a must but I don't mind it a bit, kinda grown to like it. I've also had Honda's and Yamaha's in the past with few problems but none was with the features of a Polaris. I wish that new Honda was part time 4wd, oh well. How many 4-wheelers available with those features I want? Only the Scrambler 400 4x4 and 500 4x4. And I decided on the 4-stroke for long life. Boy, did I start rambling! Oops, again thanks for everones help.

jUsT mE - WillieB - '99 Scrambler 500

Old 09-19-1999, 01:47 AM
Trailblazer

Ok guys, the problem was my fault. I should pay more attention to stuff when I take them apart. I had two bearings in the wrong place. I swapped them, replaced the black ring armature plate and it's fixed. I feel a lot better now. Thks a lot guys for all your help.

WillieB - '99 Scrambler 500

Old 09-24-1999, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer

Willie, You are not the only one that has done a dumb thing while working on your machine. I changed the fan thermostat switch one time on my 1990 Polaris 350 4x4, and hooked the wires to the wrong spade connector. When the water would get hot enough to kick on the fan, the switch would close, and the engine would die. {grounded the ignition} It took me a little while to figure out what I did. Oh well, live and learn. Dave