Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Cylinder sleeve damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will tear it apart. I hope the head isn't allowing coolant into the cylinders. The bike was idling great so hopefully not.

I don't notice any oil in the coolant or coming out of the weep hole. Losing my patience on this bike.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Coryco
Will tear it apart. I hope the head isn't allowing coolant into the cylinders. The bike was idling great so hopefully not.

I don't notice any oil in the coolant or coming out of the weep hole. Losing my patience on this bike.
Only way possible that coolant could get into the oil through the water pump cavity would be that both the water pump seal and oil seal were bad and some how it intermixed,BUT the weep hole should be flowing out. Here's the inner oil seal and case. Item #9.http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2002&fveh=5601 Don't think it's in that area,hope it's an easy find on this one..

Old 06-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I need to change the mechanical seal now either way. I'm assuming I'll need to change the oil seal in the back as well.

Starting to think I pried the mechanical seal out for nothing because like I said I noticed no oil In the coolant. Only coolant in the oil. Perhaps there was leftover coolant in the oil filter and when I had the machine running I stirred it up.

Hoping it's not the head because I do not want to tear the engine down again like you said.

How can I test to see if it the water jacket? I'm not familiar with what you are mentioning.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pressure test the radiator and see if it holds at least 10psi without any drop.If it drops pressure, coolant has to be going somewhere and if it's not external,then has to be going through either the head gasket or head itself I would imagine.That is after you replace the w/p seal and oil seal. Don't forget the case gasket that was shown on the parts break down as usually you can't save them.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Will do. I have to get the waterpump sorted out. Because it was dripping out of the bottom. But I think it was just the o ring seal. I jumped the gun and pried the seal out thinking I could pound the new one in.

Thanks a lot this rebuild would have been much harder without your help

Old 06-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Follow the manual on the w/p seal and oil seal replacement. This is one section in the manual that they did explain pretty good on,plus again not worth the risk on taking any short cuts on this by not pulling the case..