Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

scrambler 500 problems help ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Weep hole is on the right hand side of the engine under the water pump cavity. Ramp is fine to lift the front end up. Check that both hoses are warm. Also check that the back of the radiator around the fan area is clean,No build up of dirt or mud. This was another common area for heating problems. On a machine new to you best to have a manual so you can have some guidance on service,repairs,trouble shooting.DOWNLOAD 1999-2000 Polaris ATV Repair Manual ALL MODELS - Download ... Again this may be happening because it's not charging and keeping the battery up..Once that's fixed it may solve the problem you're having. If it doesn't,there are trouble shooting guides in the manual for electrical and mechanical problems.While you're waiting on the regulator check the cam for lobe wear. Should have the Ho cam,but one of the symptoms of cam lobe wear was good idle,but backfiring when any throttle was applied. Look at this post.Bad Cam Pic - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

thanks again opt i will check the weep hole the black rad hose gets so hot i can barley touch it and as for rad yes its dirty but im afraide the dirt is so dry and compact its like cement

as for regulator once i get a new one my batt should start charging again cuz i do notice when i use the quad volts drop to about 11 ish and take all night to get back to 12 fan helps kill the batt only had to reharge once

and about the cam shaft the only time the quad boggs and miss fires is when i have rode it for about 40 min like i said when i start the machine cold i could do anything i could race it if i wanted its like brand new cold but once warmed up starts bogging and back firing so if that still sounds to you like it may be a cam shaft i will get some one to get check it as i dont have the proper tools or trust my self to start messing with the top end

oh and yes i have a manual came with the quad LOL

Old 08-15-2015, 02:37 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some people with mud dried up in the radiator have taken the radiator off the quad and soaked it. After a good soaking it's easier to clean. If you use a pressure washer be careful not to bend the fins on the radiator.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:15 AM
Range Rover

thanks again opt i will check the weep hole the black rad hose gets so hot i can barley touch it and as for rad yes its dirty but im afraide the dirt is so dry and compact its like cement

as for regulator once i get a new one my batt should start charging again cuz i do notice when i use the quad volts drop to about 11 ish and take all night to get back to 12 fan helps kill the batt only had to reharge once

and about the cam shaft the only time the quad boggs and miss fires is when i have rode it for about 40 min like i said when i start the machine cold i could do anything i could race it if i wanted its like brand new cold but once warmed up starts bogging and back firing so if that still sounds to you like it may be a cam shaft i will get some one to get check it as i dont have the proper tools or trust my self to start messing with the top end

oh and yes i have a manual came with the quad LOL

Old 08-16-2015, 05:50 PM
Range Rover

OPT ?.. or anyone want to chime in ?

Old 08-17-2015, 05:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just get the regulator and clean the radiator.. Go from there and see how it does..

Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 AM
Range Rover

Just get the regulator and clean the radiator.. Go from there and see how it does..
ok i guess im gunna have to take rad out of machine so i willl look at the manual on how to do that but when i refill the coolant is it hard to not get more air bubbles is there a certain couple things i should make sure to do so i dont screw up the refill

Old 08-17-2015, 11:10 AM
Range Rover

hey opt i brought it to the mechanic this morning and this is the email i got about 4 hrs later

We performed the leak down test and determine that you definetly have a leaking head gasket. That being said we also noticed quite a bit of leak threw you piston rings as well. Basically you would be looking at a top end rebuild to properlly repair the issue. So looking at a piston kit, top gasket set, cylinder boring and valve cleaning, laping and seal replacing. I will price things out and get back to you, but gonna be anywhere from $1000-$1500 to get such a job done. Not sure how in depth you wanted to get in this, let me know if this is something you want to get done.

Thanks

dose this issue and pricing sound good to you ? with shop rate at 70 an hr im so sad at this point lol i got completely ripped off and im at a loss i love the machine and want to do this rebuild but dont know if i can afford it

Old 08-18-2015, 07:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by scram5050
hey opt i brought it to the mechanic this morning and this is the email i got about 4 hrs later

We performed the leak down test and determine that you definetly have a leaking head gasket. That being said we also noticed quite a bit of leak threw you piston rings as well. Basically you would be looking at a top end rebuild to properlly repair the issue. So looking at a piston kit, top gasket set, cylinder boring and valve cleaning, laping and seal replacing. I will price things out and get back to you, but gonna be anywhere from $1000-$1500 to get such a job done. Not sure how in depth you wanted to get in this, let me know if this is something you want to get done.

Thanks

dose this issue and pricing sound good to you ? with shop rate at 70 an hr im so sad at this point lol i got completely ripped off and im at a loss i love the machine and want to do this rebuild but dont know if i can afford it
Thought you said pressure test was ok?
Quote "ok the mechanic did a rad pressure test said he left it on all night and no drop in pressure but i have alot of ppl saying i may or may not have a blown gasket thats why i ask if that could be the casue of my bogging and coolant problems"? Yes if it shows it to be leaking you have to tear it down. Might as well have it bored out to the next oversize piston and rings. This gives you plenty of time to clean the radiator and check it out also. That is if you want to invest this much in a used machine. The more you can do yourself,the cheaper it is. Tear it down,have a machine shop check the bore size,buy the piston/gasket kit needed and you do the work on assembly.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:42 AM
Range Rover

Thought you said pressure test was ok?
Quote "ok the mechanic did a rad pressure test said he left it on all night and no drop in pressure but i have alot of ppl saying i may or may not have a blown gasket thats why i ask if that could be the casue of my bogging and coolant problems"? Yes if it shows it to be leaking you have to tear it down. Might as well have it bored out to the next oversize piston and rings. This gives you plenty of time to clean the radiator and check it out also. That is if you want to invest this much in a used machine. The more you can do yourself,the cheaper it is. Tear it down,have a machine shop check the bore size,buy the piston/gasket kit needed and you do the work on assembly.

hey opt yes he said he did a rad pressure test and it came back normal then he did a leak down test and it came back not normal

my question to you is he said i deff have a damaged head gasket and he noticed some leaking by my rings can i just replace the gasket and rings and my problem be solved or do i have to do the whole entire top end ?
to me it is worth it cuz this machiine is everything i wanted but the 1500 kinda kills me is it neccesary to do the whole entire top end or can i get away with new rings and gasket

Old 08-18-2015, 12:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by scram5050
hey opt yes he said he did a rad pressure test and it came back normal then he did a leak down test and it came back not normal

my question to you is he said i deff have a damaged head gasket and he noticed some leaking by my rings can i just replace the gasket and rings and my problem be solved or do i have to do the whole entire top end ?
to me it is worth it cuz this machiine is everything i wanted but the 1500 kinda kills me is it neccesary to do the whole entire top end or can i get away with new rings and gasket
Possible to just replace the head gasket and rings,BUT you need to check and measure the piston against the cylinder specs to see if clearance is ok just to do that. Head gaskets usually blow for a reason,fan not working,getting hot,loss of coolant,head or cylinder warped from heat,etc unless it wasn't torqued down properly in the first place. Plus while you have it down check for any leakage past the valves. Simple to do on this.Just fill the intake and exhaust ports with solvent. If any valve leaks,it needs to be checked out.Either clean and lap it to the valve seat and check again for leakage or replace it. Again this is where the manual can help more than anything.

Quick Reply: scrambler 500 problems help ?