Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

scrambler 500 problems help ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 05:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Possible to just replace the head gasket and rings,BUT you need to check and measure the piston against the cylinder specs to see if clearance is ok just to do that. Head gaskets usually blow for a reason,fan not working,getting hot,loss of coolant,head or cylinder warped from heat,etc unless it wasn't torqued down properly in the first place. Plus while you have it down check for any leakage past the valves. Simple to do on this.Just fill the intake and exhaust ports with solvent. If any valve leaks,it needs to be checked out.Either clean and lap it to the valve seat and check again for leakage or replace it. Again this is where the manual can help more than anything.

ok i have no clue how to do any of that lol i would get the mechanic to do that

reason im asking you is beacuse hes telling me if i dont do what he says wich is rebuild the whole top end it will blow and seize up wich i really want to rebuild it but its just to expensive at the moment thats why i was asking you if just the rings and headgasket can be replaced without having to buy a new piston bore it out etc and as for why the gasket went is im thinking what you said loss off coolant when i got the bike it had low coolant in rad and none in over flow bottle

so yah was just wondering if i fix the gasket and rings if that would stop my coolant and bogging problem

Old 08-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by scram5050
ok i have no clue how to do any of that lol i would get the mechanic to do that

reason im asking you is beacuse hes telling me if i dont do what he says wich is rebuild the whole top end it will blow and seize up wich i really want to rebuild it but its just to expensive at the moment thats why i was asking you if just the rings and headgasket can be replaced without having to buy a new piston bore it out etc and as for why the gasket went is im thinking what you said loss off coolant when i got the bike it had low coolant in rad and none in over flow bottle

so yah was just wondering if i fix the gasket and rings if that would stop my coolant and bogging problem
u could get lucky and just replace the piston, rings and gasket(personally i would only do that with a cheap blaster) but in the end, if u want it done right, you should get the cylinder and head squared off and be sure youre not gonna make a big stink on the trails when u need to gets pulled back

p.s. you dont want to have failure if ur running from the cops

Old 08-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by 1ArmBandit
u could get lucky and just replace the piston, rings and gasket(personally i would only do that with a cheap blaster) but in the end, if u want it done right, you should get the cylinder and head squared off and be sure youre not gonna make a big stink on the trails when u need to gets pulled back

p.s. you dont want to have failure if ur running from the cops

lol true if im going to do the top end properly with all new parts ill have to do it my self as mechanic is too expensive i already priced out piston and gasket set at about 300 for both all together and i have the manual so i guess i might give it a try is anyone able to tell me how muuch it is to get cylender bored and were you get that done ? then what do i just buy a bigger piston and put it in like you normaly would ? i get the jist of taking apart an engine but once im in there dont really know what to do if some one would be able to guide me along that would be cool ... i took a gio 125 cc apart today for practice it was pretty easy took me like half an hour to get it all apart but when i went to put piston rings back on it the piston wouldent slide in the cylender again lol so i got it apart no problem but i just threw the moter in the trash i know i could have put it back together just dident feel like it cuz it was garbage anyway just tried it for practice but i know a 500 cc moter would be alot harder ..

Old 08-18-2015, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

if u dont have the correct tools to measure bore nor the bore n hone press..i would just get it apart and let a good shop do it...when u tried to put "the piston" back in ur practice motor, did u compress the rings?...i might have practiced a bit more with that before throwing it out...imo

Old 08-19-2015, 12:19 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by 1ArmBandit
if u dont have the correct tools to measure bore nor the bore n hone press..i would just get it apart and let a good shop do it...when u tried to put "the piston" back in ur practice motor, did u compress the rings?...i might have practiced a bit more with that before throwing it out...imo

oh id for sure be getting a shop to bore it thats y i asked if anyone knows how much it is to get tht done

and no i dident compress them dont know how lol but with the youtube videos on 4 stroke engines and my manual and hopfully the help of some of the very nice people on this webforum ill be able to get it done

the only thing that confuses me is when it comes to " boreing " the cylender i dont what it cost where to bring it what size it should or what kind of psiton to buy cuz i thought when engines were rebult you just use the same size piston

Old 08-19-2015, 02:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just take the piston and cylinder to a good machine shop or dealer. Have the piston measured against the cylinder and order the over size recommended. The 500 piston to cylinder clearance sets up tight. Look at the manual on this for the clearance specs,but not much more than .001 clearance allowed as .0024 is considered worn out on a stock cast piston.Wiseco would be your best bet.First over they offer(92.50 mm) will take care of any egg shape bores. They do allow for a little extra clearance since it's a forged not cast piston. https://www.wiseco.com/ProductDetail...Year=&ModelID= Plenty of boring and honing videos on youtube. Plus several online places that bore cylinders if you don't have someone local.Cylinder Boring Service for Honda Yamaha Suzuki Kawasaki Polaris ATV Motorcycle | eBay