Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

buying a polaris feedback

Old 10-05-2015, 11:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a polaris feedback

I been looking at buying a polaris sportsman used wanted some feedback information from others

What i want use it for mainly to hunt drag deer out of woods maybe plant a food plont. Plow snow.

I was looking at 500 carb 500 efi 700efi or 800efi seems like they all fall in same price range 2 300 more or less firgure why not go bigger for same price almost

What is the reliability between carb and efi hp difference would 500 carb efi do what i stated above?

700efi 800efi what can 800 do that 700 cant is there much of a difference in hp can you tell.

I was looking at 2007 sportsman 800 with deluxe package with glacier snow plow system miles 2354Spam wordSpam word can get for 3800.00 my mane thing is do to miles being plowed with for its whole life does it put a lot stress on them? I talked to people always say stay away from polaris they have belt problems plowing is really hard on them i asked the owner with 800 if ever replace the belt said never been replaced since he had it. And no issues.

I want some polaris owners feedback before i even think about buying such a thing dont want something that could have bunch issues.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you want fuel mileage then go w/ the 500 as the 800's do not get good fuel mileage.
as long as you use low range then plowing would not be an issue as long as who owned it didn't beat the hell out of it. belts would be the most worn item on either bike. ive had 2 800's and loved then both but went back to the 500 carb for best results. the 500 was one of the best engines built. imo

Old 10-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Fuji 500 was a great engine. I believe the EFI has 1.5 more HP than the carb model. EFI may start a little easier in the winter. Either one will work great for your purposes. This will be my seventh year plowing with this one and I still have the original belt with no signs of slippage. I've been plowing with a Sportsman 500 for 10 or 11 years before I got this one without any problems. The one problem I do have now is the ADC (Active Decent Control) broke. I never use it anyway and older models didn't even have it.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles and hours did it have? Yamahas usually need belt replaced at about 3000 miles, I assume Polaris has similar lifespan to their belt. Even if it does need a new belt, the belt is about $100 and about 1 hour to install. Its not a major expense if it does need replaced. Its just routine maintenance on a cvt auto quad. And then you're good for another 3000 miles.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had 3 800's and loved them. Long as it was maintained (fluids, etc) shouldn't have any issues. Wouldn't hurt to replace the belt (quick, easy job) and keep the old one for a spare. Plowed a ton of snow with them along with tons of mudding without any issues. Biggest thing is to take care of cleaning and changing fluids and they will last forever.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:24 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

No real world difference between the 500 carb and EFI. I drag raced a efi 500 with my carbed 500 and the diff was nothing. I use mine ice fishing and starting it up never was a problem.
I change the belt after 2500 miles for peace of mind and the belt still looked great.

I just found Polaris has little things go wrong and it can 50 buck you to death. My friend bought a 660 Grizzly in 2003 and has done nothing but change the oil to this day, I think I,m a Yamaha convert if I bough another full size ATV.

The 500 can pull the same as a 800 ,they break wheel traction well before losing wheel turning power. That's why the 500 and 800 have the same tow capacity.

I seen 350 4wd drag and carry deer out.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
No real world difference between the 500 carb and EFI. I drag raced a efi 500 with my carbed 500 and the diff was nothing. I use mine ice fishing and starting it up never was a problem.
I change the belt after 2500 miles for peace of mind and the belt still looked great.

I just found Polaris has little things go wrong and it can 50 buck you to death. My friend bought a 660 Grizzly in 2003 and has done nothing but change the oil to this day, I think I,m a Yamaha convert if I bough another full size ATV.

The 500 can pull the same as a 800 ,they break wheel traction well before losing wheel turning power. That's why the 500 and 800 have the same tow capacity.

I seen 350 4wd drag and carry deer out.
With all this talk about buying new quads, I looked around and the best deals locally were on new Yamahas. A local dealer in Nashville, IL had the new Kodiak 700 base model listed for $6075, eps models were $1000 more. Basically you were getting the 700 with free eps compared to retail price. 2015 Grizzly 700's with eps were $7237, $500 less without eps but eps is worth more than $500 to me. Had one 2015 Grizzly 550 with eps for $6478, that's a real deal compared to retail, $2200 off. While I like what I see, I'm still not tempted to upgrade lol.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't know how many times I've seen someone ask about a couple different models of one particular brand(no matter which brand,model or forum it's on) for comparison that he/she's interested in and inevitably it ends up with recommendations for a different brand entirely.Plus heaven forbid if they ask a color preference..

Old 10-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Range Rover

Ive had my 06 800 Sportsman since 09, ride hard in the mud down here, all problems i had were caused by me. I also have a 10 sportsman 550 EPS and that thing is really nice, quick, responsive, great on gas compared to 800. Not buying a bike because it burns belts is like not buying a car because it burns brake pads. All in who owns it. I've learned lessons on my own stupidity and would definitely buy another Polaris tomorrow if i could. Its a machine, maintenance is key to longevity.

And as far as enough power to pull a deer out, I have an Arctic Cat 300 4x4 and in low range has pulled my 800 out of thick mud plenty of times. so yes you will be able to do that.
just do not use "high" for any type of work or slow riding and you wont burn a belt.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Don't know how many times I've seen someone ask about a couple different models of one particular brand(no matter which brand,model or forum it's on) for comparison that he/she's interested in and inevitably it ends up with recommendations for a different brand entirely.Plus heaven forbid if they ask a color preference..
in this case I can see why. Polaris doesn't exactly have a reputation for reliability overall

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: buying a polaris feedback