Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Disadvantages of swapping to new powder coated frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disadvantages of swapping to new powder coated frame

Hey folks,

I wanted to see what the disadvantages are to swapping everything over to a new frame? (i never plan to sell the bike)

I am considering this because there is a lot of work i am doing on the bike and ive taken a lot off of it already. I was originally going to bead blast as much of the frame i could get to and undercoat it without removing the engine and diffs.

So far ive found one good frame for $100 that i could probably poweder coat for $300 and be able to have them side by side so that i am not dealing with a pile of parts trying to rebuild the current frame.

I know its seems like overkill but i let my bike for sit outside for 3 years and id hate to put all this money in it and have the frame rust out... some spots im not even sure how to get to bare metal to coat it.

Thanks, you guys are awesome!

Old 12-11-2015, 09:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Just my two cents exhaust will rust out before most frames would. I'd spend time on having it ceramic coated or whatever than spending the bucks on a power coated frame. Plus I've seen nice frames powder coated that got chipped and you can't touch one up that well. The under coating sprayed over the paint that you showed a pic on would probably last longer. Plus if you still like deep mud,hard to keep anything looking nice over time.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer

Here is some of what i was referring to. I should have caught it but when they installed the plow plate they didnt use the right bolts and its just bent the heck out of the front mount bolts.

Attached Thumbnails Disadvantages of swapping to new powder coated frame-img_1394.jpg   Disadvantages of swapping to new powder coated frame-img_1391.jpg   Disadvantages of swapping to new powder coated frame-img_1395.jpg  
Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks like it's gone through hell and back. Plus I guess you northern boys have to deal a lot with salt that doesn't help.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Trailblazer

Yes, it has... when i saw bodies of water... i was like a kid at a candy store. Lots of plowing too.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

Problem solved...found a near mint Salvage frame for $89 and two hours driving. Just have to degrease it and undercoat.

Thanks for pointing out the powder coat issues like touch up...I forget to realize those things.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

I'd paint it with Por 15 or Chassis Saver, you'll never worry about rust again.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer

thanks, that's awesome.. im going to scuff the frame up and use chassis saver. Looks a lot better than undercoating and polaris tech talked me out of powder coat.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

Your welcome. Please keep posting pics as you go, I love threads like this.

Also, I'd weld gussets on the frame by the control arm mounts, the XP frame is known to crack there.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:40 AM
Trailblazer

will do, do you think an automotive painter would have an issue putting chassis saver in their guns? I dont have a gun and all of that.

Quick Reply: Disadvantages of swapping to new powder coated frame