Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Very Erratic Idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 09:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh well.. Yea you have to pull the tank plastic to get to it. Should be able to bend the wire back out. Check before you reinstall it that the sender is still registering properly as you slowly lift the wire arm up and down with the key on.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 03-21-2016, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Check before you reinstall it that the sender is still registering properly as you slowly lift the wire arm up and down with the key on."

Right, been there done that with some truck senders mucho years ago. To add to my pleasure, yesterday my air compressor finally rusted through and developed an air leak at the bottom tank weld. Can't complain too much, I've had it over 30 years and it was probably well over 10 years old when I bought it used. After researching them to death this morning I just ordered a DeWalt, sounds like a nice one hopefully.
On Edit: I thought I remember getting a CD Shop Manual along with the printed one when I bought my Polaris. Just found it and hopefully it's a bit more involved than the other one.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I just got my wife's machine restarted after sitting for more than a year in our barn, She had hip replacement and is not able to ride the atv anymore. When I drained the tank it looked like yellow slime coming out, flushed it real good along with the fuel line, new filter and drained and flushed the same slime from the carb. After all was said and done it started right up and runs great again. Fresh gas does wonders, hard to believe it turned to yellow snot while sitting there for a year.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Interesting, my stale fuel looked OK and did not smell like paint varnish like I've run into before on a neglected push mower, etc, but evidently it sure was bad. Maybe your humidity enters into it (the slime), our air here is so dry we're the itchy skin capital of the nation, especially during winter.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Ethanol fuel sucks no matter what part of the country you're in. Still draws in moisture,shelf life is not good at all with out stabilizers. I have a quart can of premix 92 octane ethanol free gas I've had on the shelf for almost two years I bought at Tractor Supply. I run it in my weed eater and just used it the other day and weed eater ran perfectly.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yep, OPT, I've always thought it's the biggest scam ever forced on the public by huge corporate agricultural conglomerates, especially Archer Daniels Midland (plus paid off politicians). A couple years ago, the NatGeo Channel, who's going to be sympathetic toward Ethanol if anybody is, had an hour long feature how it was produced from corn field to and after the refinery. I don't remember the stats now, but with some basic figuring, the fuel the diesel semi's were consuming hauling the corn to the refinery was more gallons than gallons of Ethanol produced per truckload of corn. What a joke! Even a local dairy owner got a huge writeup in our local paper regarding how the price of milk would increase nationwide after the last big Ethanol push. And he was definitely right.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

ethanol is completely useless! It gums up everything with a carburetor.....it does nothing to help with fuel consumption, like you stated above. same with catalytic converters and whatnot. it's only diluting the exhaust, still the same dirty exhaust. it's all a huge scam....