Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

more 4x4 PAINS...Polaris 250cc 1991

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 05:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more 4x4 PAINS...Polaris 250cc 1991

Hey, my quad is having more problems with the 4 wheel. Replaced fluid in both front hubs and retainer plates with no success.

While up on stands the back wheels spin and spin and never engage the front wheels mechanically. When I click the 4wd switch no 4x4 in FORWARD GEAR.
In reverse no mechanical engagement of 4x4. When I click the 4wd button in reverse the right front locks up and starts pushing ONLY.

Silly question but this...system is suppose to lock mechanically correct? 1/4 turn of the rear Should engage the fronts? Obviously should always engage when I command..so I understand I have an electrically fault somewhere.

>>But say I just want the mechanical lockup only!! Can I clip the front wires to the coils?? Or am I mistaken and is this NOT how this system works?

Old 03-17-2016, 06:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Electrical and mechanical system both are need to make this system work right. Are you pushing the over ride button while in reverse? If you are and only one wheel kicks in,check out the one that doesn't.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer

I understand that I need to check the side that is not operating in reverse at all. I plan on doin further testin this weekend.Why does the side that DOES function using the override ONLY engage while in reverse though?

Old 03-18-2016, 04:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The reverse over ride button bypasses the rpm limiter to where the awd will kick in while in reverse. If one side works ok,then sound like the other side has an electrical or mechanical problem. You can even bypass the over ride button if you wish,but it still may not solve the non working wheel. Here's what some have done.

"Pre 2003 and almost all models that do NOT have the combined override/Speedo function button.

Trace wires from the override button (gray/white & gray/orange) Cut the gray/orange and tape up both ends. Cut the gray/white and tape up the end which goes to the override button. Connect the other end of the gray/white to the red/white (ignition supplied 12v)"

Old 03-20-2016, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

Instead....Can I wire the coils to a toggle switch or a momentary switch? 4 coil wires to 12v batt, with a toggle in between. Flip the toggle, energize the coils have 4x4 when i need it...flip it off run 2wd...or will this pose another problem with the overide circuit or prematurely burn up the coils?

Old 03-20-2016, 08:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just check everything mechanical out in the hubs before you start trying to make changes..

Old 03-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

Checked everything mechanical. Refilled hubs and torqued nut as per Manual. Still have 1 Hub locking with the Electric coil.
Jumped both coils to the battery and Hazzaaaahhh both locked in with 4x4.
Just gonna hot-wire the two coils to a switch and to the battery... Thus ill have 4x4 when I want it. Have you seen this done before and Could I damage coil? Should I put a inline fuse to the coils? I know it not "factory" but it will work.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Wouldn't do it that way,but others have moved the gray hub power wires to the red/white terminals on the terminal board to have them powered up when the ignition is on. That might be the one area you check first on the hub that's not kicking in also. It may not have a good connection on the gray terminal or the brown ground wire for that side may not have a good connection on the board. Do that before you power up both gray wires by moving them to the red/white terminal section. It will have constant power to the coils and will in time cause the armature plates to magnetize. Not the best way,but one way of getting the awd to work.. Gear box shifter switches or the awd button itself was a problem on the older ones also,but since you have power to one side,sounds like a connection problem on the non working side.