Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 700 updated ignition still no spark

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 700 updated ignition still no spark

Hello and how are ya? I have an freshly upgraded 03 700 and still no spark ! One thing I did is set the air gap on updated pick up but otherwise it's all new voltage regulator also and gauge cluster !wondering if any one has the test procedure for the new system ,the only reading that I get when ohming coil out is spk plug wire to other spk plg wire !! Any input would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-19-2016, 02:02 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sure you have it hooked up right? Might help to go back over your steps. Here's a good video on this.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes indeed just went back through everything and noticed if I unplug and plug the coil wires coming off cdi ,I get a spark at the 2 prog plug

Old 07-19-2016, 09:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Sspain
Yes indeed just went back through everything and noticed if I unplug and plug the coil wires coming off cdi ,I get a spark at the 2 prog plug
I guess you are talking about the updated Kokusan ignition kit. Pull the black kill wire from the cdi module. If you have spark, then possible the problem is in the left control switch or it's connectors or the ignition switch itself could be at fault.Both of these tie into the cdi kill circuit black wire.Plus one other area that people had problems with was not having a good ground for the brown wire at the stator plate.Something simple like this can cause ignition problems.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well Im guessing that the trigger is not sending signal is there a way to buy pass ignition switch,also what shud the air gap be on the koku? and what is the resistance for the pickup ,(triggered and untriggerd)

Old 07-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

And just to confirm that I removed black wire from ignition switch still no spark . But if I unplug coil 2prong and touch the connection together I get spark at plugs with key on

Old 07-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Sspain
And just to confirm that I removed black wire from ignition switch still no spark . But if I unplug coil 2prong and touch the connection together I get spark at plugs with key on
Black wire at the cdi module. If you just unplugged the ignition switch black,the left control switch could still interfere with ignition. This is just to eliminate if the switches are causing the problem. IF you still don't have spark with the CDI black wire removed,then I still think you have an installation problem somewhere,usually a ground problem is what most people encounter with a no spark condition. Plus not understanding the "unplug coil 2 prong"?? If I'm under standing you correctly,you said you have spark when you unplug the two wire plug from the coil that leads to the cdi.. If this is correct,then one wire(white) is the hot wire,the other(black) is the kill wire. Again I'd trace the grounds(browns) from the stator up as many people had ground problems. IF you pull the black wire from the CDI module and still don't have spark,then it's possible to have a faulty cdi,but I've never had a bad one in all the kits I've installed. This is where a good manual with the Kokusan ignition with necessary stator tests can help you narrow it down if grounding isn't the problem.The 2005 has the correct ignition that you have.
http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2005-Po...ce-Manual.html

Last edited by old polaris tech; 07-19-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: plug for coil..