Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front Hub Wiring and VIN Number Find

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Hub Wiring and VIN Number Find

Picked up a used Scrambler, someone disconnected the front hubs by cutting the wires back to where I can't see them, so I wanna buy new coils and replace them, but I don't know where to plug them in, does anyone now where I should look and what colors would they be, or do they plug in somewhere on the wiring block on front ? What wired I disconnect so I don't have house the reverse override button ? Also anyone with a 97 can tell me where the VIN number is located can't find anything only motor numbers. Thanks !

Old 08-10-2016, 07:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

The frame vin # is on the down tube behind the shift lever. Sould show a "W97" along with the serial number. Also if you still have the engine sticker on the recoil the first two digits should also show the year model,"97" along with the rest of the engine serial number. Left and right hub coil wires hook up to two small square connectors under the front panel. Hot wire is Gray,ground is Brown. This manual can save you time,money and head scratching. http://visit.tradebit.com/visit.php/...75/264163234/9

Old 08-10-2016, 07:51 AM
Trailblazer

So I assume 2 square white plugs if I remember now, each has a Gray and Brown wire, and don't matter which one goes to which side ? I've done several front hub rebuilds, always had Polaris, so I know the hubs but this is the first time I found someone who disconnected them, they should have just unplugged them but felt the need to cut the wires ugh ! I also disconnected the revers override, don't remember which wire though, do you recall, maybe I should start writing stuff down !
Motor Prod. No. EH500PLE1304908 and Ser. No. 0102256, I'll look the frame over again.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Doesn't matter which gray/brown plug you use for either side..They both power up when the awd button is pushed and in gear. Can't remember all the colors on the wiring.. That's why they have the manuals that come with the wiring schematics that are color coded to help you on wiring problems. Again just down load the manual and you can use it for years to come.. There should be a purple,gray/white and green if I remember correctly.. That's why the make manuals so you don't have to remember.. Did remember about this article on bypassing the over ride if you wish..

"Trace wires from the override button (gray/white & gray/orange) Cut the gray/orange and tape up both ends. Cut the gray/white and tape up the end which goes to the override button. Connect the other end of the gray/white to the red/white (ignition supplied 12v)" This allows full power in reverse without having to push the button..

Old 08-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

There is no grey/white or red/white coming out of these harness at these points but OK so I got 4 wires coming out of my AWD switch, yellow, grey, grey/white and brown, but the yellow one disappears up in the wire loom, so I only end up with the grey, grey and white, and brown coming out the other end, and they are plugged into their' respective color coded prong in the wiring block, so I'm assuming OK ? Now coming out of the override button I have grey/white, purple, and green and they are not plugged into anything, so can you tell me what to do with those three, to make the 4WD work without the override. Also when I run my wires up from child where should I plug them there are no white connectors. Should they go in the respective color coded prongs in the block ?

Old 08-10-2016, 02:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Awd wires on this model may just tie into the terminal board. Again can't remember wiring for all years and models..Here's a FREE 96-98 all model pdf service manual. Use the 98 Scrambler 500 wiring schematic as it's the same as the 97.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Z7Rqhg&cad=rja

Old 08-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer

I downloaded it but its hard to tell where they terminate. Looks like they bypassed the shifter switch by running the green wire from shifter to hot and I guess that bypassed it. What should I do with the 3 wires just hanging loose from override switch, maybe when they ran the green to hot it bypassed that too ?

Old 08-10-2016, 04:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

All wires with spade ends should hook up to the color coded terminals on the board. Not sure if they're spade or bullet on these three. Green is supposed to go from the over ride switch to the limiter module,so I don't know what the previous owner was up to..

Old 08-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer

Don't know if it matters but the green is actually green/white. Looks like green/white sends power to neutral light, so yes makes no sense the way the guy had it hooked the light would be on all the time . What would happen if I just left the override wires, which yes they are spade, disconnected and ran a hot lead to the AWD switch, from the schematic I downloaded from your manual looks like grey/white gets energized when you hit the AWD switch and sends power to grey wire to hub coils engaging hubs. So if I send power to the grey/white wire going to switch AWD should work when I hit the switch regardless of shifter or override position ? I think I'm getting this ?

Old 08-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Purple(violet) and gray/white are connected when the over ride is normally pushed in. You can try just pulling the black wire from the reverse limiter(LR-83 module) having the gray/white hooked up to power(purple hooked to terminal board also) and see how it does. Most people defeat this limiter module as they end up failing anyway. Should be able to give you full power in reverse along with awd without having to push the over ride button as most people do on these older ones.

Quick Reply: Front Hub Wiring and VIN Number Find