Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I'm no Bomb tech, which wire. 800

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 09:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sprayed the un-sealed Pak Con fuse block and open Mini-ISO relay connector and several other open electrical connections with Wurth HHS-K the day I brought it home. WURTH HHS is a creeping silicone that wicks into all the little nooks and crannies of these open connections and down into the exposed wire ends. The fuse block and relay socket on my 2012 looks close to the same as when I bought it and I've left it outside in the rain more than once. You could use Fluid Film or Battery terminal protectant spray but they don't wick in like the WURTH HHS spray.

That exact F4 SPST Mini-ISO relay is available from Amazon for $7.28 with Prime included shipping. https://www.amazon.com/Song-Chuan-Au.../dp/B00HKI45HO

The 50A rating on an F4 Mini ISO relay is more than a little optimistic... Chinese amps must be different from Western Amps... just like the Chinese horses used in their electric motor HP ratings.
Probably 50A at 20°C. Honestly the .250" terminals and internal switch reeds on F4 series Mini ISO relays will burn up if you pass more than 30A through them continuously. Even the larger terminal F7 Mini ISO relays that regularly advertise 70A ratings derate to 40A once you clear 85°C.

A standard F4 SPDT Mini ISO relay has 5 terminals and the relay socket on our bikes is a standard Bosch/Tyco 5 terminal F4 Mini ISO socket so it will work just fine.

You can buy a sealed body open terminal Marine grade HELLA 931680011 F4 SPDT relay for just under $10. West Marine stocks them. There are stores in St Pete, Bradenton, Port Charlotte, two in FT Meyers, and Naples. Those are just the ones that show up on Google Maps near Labelle.

The other option is to replace the open relay socket with a fully sealed Delphi Metripack 630 socket and use a GM Delphi Metripack 630 fuel pump relay from a 3rd Gen F-Body. I'm really not sure why Polaris didn't do this in the first place... Cheapskates I guess.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Can't find the post I read on this in the Rzr forum but the relays are the same as used in some GM autos.These fuse blocks were bad about shorting out especially if you play in the mud and water. Plenty of Delphi oem type blocks on ebay along with water resistant marine blocks fuse and relay holders. PER-080&029&036-4 ATO / ATC Delphi Fuse Block Panel 4 Gang 12 V Blade Style Fuse | eBay Waterproof Fuse/Relay Block Panel - Car Truck ATV UTV RV Boat 4X4 Marine HWB60 | eBay Gm relays | eBay
Those Littlefuse HWB60 sealed Metripack 280 fuse/relay panels are sweet little units for this type of environment. They use ATM fuses and OMRON Micro ISO 280 relays. I've seen them on Hot Rods.
Datasheet----> http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/240/Litte...B60-245787.pdf
The Ebay unit is a little expensive. Mouser Electronics stocks them for $42 http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...ptvfey5w%3d%3d
The Micro ISO 280 relays, Metripack seals, Terminals, and cavity plugs are available for a reasonable price point from Mouser as well.

I'm going to rant a bit...
Not sure why Polaris didn't use fully sealed components to begin with other than price point. Metripack individual ATC sealed fuse holders and Metripack 630 relays have been in use by GM since the mid 1980's.
The open Pak Con ATO/ATC fuse blocks and open Bosch/Tyco Packard 56 relay sockets are probably cheaper and they last well past the 6 month warranty so why spend more money... planned obsolescence?

Old 11-07-2016, 10:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNightstick
The open Pak Con ATO/ATC fuse blocks and open Bosch/Tyco Packard 56 relay sockets are probably cheaper and they last well past the 6 month warranty so why spend more money... planned obsolescence?
Planned obsolescence.. Absolutely. If they were built like a tank they'd price them out of most people price range and for the ones that could afford one there wouldn't be a reason to buy another one.