Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Sprtsman 700 with Kokusan ignition upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Sprtsman 700 with Kokusan ignition upgrade

A little back history.... I purchased a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin with 30 hours on it about 3 years ago, and at 80 hrs (1 year ago) the Ducati ignition went out. I went with Old Polaris Techs recommendation and purchased and installed myself the Kokusan ignition kit and it ran great.

Well yesterday I pulled it out of the garage (now with 120hrs) to grab my trailer from the back yard and STATR started blinking on the dash. I grab my fluke meter and sure enough its not charging, but the ATV still runs fine. I find it hard to believe this new system has gone bad with only 40hrs of ride time. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting why I am not charging?

Old 08-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Forgot to include a picture

Old 08-27-2016, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Forgot to include a picture

Old 08-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it runs good,but it's not charging then one of 3 things: First load test the battery to rule it out as a problem. A dead or weak cell can't hold a charge. Second check that the battery is at least receiving 14-14.5 volts at the battery while at an idle. If it isn't the could be a stator charge coil but more than likely the regulator has shorted. One way to check the stator is to check all the yellow wires from the stator leading to the regulator.There should be some resistance between each wire with one another with no wire shorting to ground. If this is the case then just replace the regulator and that should solve the problem.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Load test on battery is good. The battery is not receiving anything, when I tested voltage I got 11.8 volts with engine running .when revved up voltage stayed at 11.8. Could a bad ground at the regulator cause this? I will check the yellow wires from stator for resistance next, is there an acceptable range I should be within when using ohm's

Old 08-28-2016, 04:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

More than likely a faulty regulator if it's not a ground problem. Usually should be low resistance between each yellow stator wire,no specific reading given,but main thing is that no yellow should short to ground.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I finally got around to testing the yellow wires and I have no resistance between any of the 3. So i pulled the flywheel/stator cover off and a little bit water came out. This leads me to believe the stator is water logged and now junk. Is it possible once everything dries out that it will magically come back to life? Or am I SOL

Old 09-04-2016, 06:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Dry it out along with all connectors and see what happens,you may get lucky. Stators don't like water same as any electrical component doesn't. Cheap after marker stators on ebay if needed.Good looking machine to be almost 15 years old..

Old 09-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have no resistance between the yellow and yellow/red wires it's bad , drying it out won't cure it .
Are you sure you had your meter set correctly ? You should have a low ohm reading , under 30 ohms between the yellow and yellow/red going to the voltage regulator .

Old 09-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Found issue.... Starter bendix spring broke and caught a yellow wire, got a good look after I cleaned all the crud out. Now I have .7 from yellow to yellow/red, so stator is good(i think). Now I need to find a bendix, anyone ever rebuild one. Seems it might be easier to buy a new one.

Quick Reply: 2002 Sprtsman 700 with Kokusan ignition upgrade