Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Shimming secondary

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 08:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Wish I could see it as I could tell you real quick,but if you're running the oem Polaris belt this still just doesn't sound right.The clutch sheath will move in a little once you crank it up but not enough that the belt should ride close to the outer sheath. Plus you replaced the inner fiber washer along with the brass one in the cup?

Old 11-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Wish I could see it as I could tell you real quick,but if you're running the oem Polaris belt this still just doesn't sound right.The clutch sheath will move in a little once you crank it up but not enough that the belt should ride close to the outer sheath. Plus you replaced the inner fiber washer along with the brass one in the cup?
Yes, brand new oem Polaris belt, brand new brass in cup washer and brand new fiber washer. I can try and get pics tomorrow if that will help? I was wondering if a weak spring could cause the moveable sheave to move in too much at crank/idle causing my issue?

Old 11-01-2016, 08:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Springs weren't normally the problem,but another area on the older ones that people over look also is the plain bearing. If worn down to the brass coating clutches can be sluggish on return and at times stick. With at least two washers behind the rear clutch and the drive clutch one way rebuilt and side to side play minimal,the belt should not track to the out side sheath.This also sounds like something if a motor mount needed to be replaced as the torque of the engine would cause the engine to flex inward. This could cause the belt to track outward. Plus it may or may not make any difference but all of the engine mounts part numbers have been updated.2000 Polaris SPORTSMAN 500 (A00CH50AA) Engine Mounting | Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus again if this large bearing has worn down to the brass coating problems can happen also.Polaris Sportsman 500 600 700 EBS Primary Clutch Bushing Bearing - 3585712 | eBay

Old 11-02-2016, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to test my spring theory out i put about .180" worth of shims in the drive clutch cover behind the spring (in the spring landing). The gaps stayed centered after i started the atv. The movable sheave didnt move once i started the atv. Does this mean the spring is pooched or i have some other wear in the clutch or ???? Any problems leaving it this way?

Old 11-02-2016, 05:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Could be the spring,easy to go ahead and swap it out if you wish,but like I mentioned a lot of people over look the large plain bearing that the shaft rides in and can cause clutch sticking also.Read at the bottom of the listing.Polaris Sportsman 500 600 700 EBS Primary Clutch Bushing Bearing - 3585712 | eBay If there was any play between the shaft and bushing,time to replace it.