Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trail Boss Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-1999 | 05:33 PM
Rod
|
Trailblazer

Greetings,

I'm considering a Trail Boss as a second ATV for the family. I see some conflicting info on web sites and in magazines. Can anyone tell me: (a) is the engine a 2 stroke or 4 stroke; and (b) does it require greasing (and if so, how many places)?

Hey while we're at it, any comments on reliability, maintenance, handling whatever would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod '98 450ES [...and its yellow]

Old 10-06-1999 | 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

The 2000 Trail Boss is a 325cc 4 stroke. It does require a fair amount of maintenance/greasing. I bought my wife one in June. We go riding about every other weekend and have had no problems. She has ridden it through sand, mud, water, trails and the mountains (Red River, NM). She rides it with our 2 year old and has had no problems handling it.

[This message has been edited by dcoleman (edited 10-06-1999).]

Old 10-06-1999 | 06:53 PM
Range Rover

I own a 1991 Trial Boss and a 1996 Sport 400.
The Trail Boss was our first ATV and it is an
excellent choice for your family to ride.
Up untill the 2000 early release models all Trail Bosses were 250cc 2 strokes. Now the new units are 325cc 4 strokes I believe.
Since 1991 I haven't seen too many changes in the Trail Boss so this info I give you here should be pretty accurate in regards to the 2000 models.

Yes, they require greasing. I don't know of any ATV that doesn't. The grease zerks (nipples) are mostly around the front steering points and the rear axle. I can tell you that the reliabilty of my ATV has been spectacular. However the following needs attention or has been attended to recently.

The steering bushings that support the steering shaft were worn badly. I replaced
all these and now everything feels tight.
The engne mounts are wasted. They are dry and cracking. This allows the engine to move around too much and can cause the clutching to be un-aligned. I have new mounts on order as we speak.

Seems to me that the steering systems on POlarises are suseptable to damage fairly easily. So far the Sport 400 and the Trail Boss have either hit a stump or flipped. This of course was our own screwing around aggressively. However the steering shaft on the T.B. bent and the handle bars were off center when going in a straight line. The Sport 400 threw me off at high speed, flipped over about 2 times before landing on it's side. Same parts were damaged, the steering stops right where the tie-rods connect to the steering shaft. Appears to be a weak spot to me.

Other than that I feel these are great units.
They are so easy to ride and controll. Especially doubling the kids around.
I recommend the Trail Boss, especially the 4 stroke 325 model.

Keith

Old 10-08-1999 | 10:05 AM
Rod
|
Trailblazer

Greetings,

Thanks for the info.

Can you tell me approximately how many zerks there are on the Trail Boss. And do you use just regular old lithium grease or is there a special blend for Polaris?

Thanks,

Rod

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-08-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-08-1999).]

Old 10-08-1999 | 03:17 PM
Range Rover

There are 9 zerks that require grease. 1 on each A-arm, 1 on the bottom of each Strut, 2 on the steering stem (top and bottom), 1 on each pivot point for the swingarm and 1 for the rear bearings on the axle carrier. If memory serves, that is all.

I haven't found a zerk fitting on my friends Honda's anywhere. They use sealed bearings because Honda figures (and rightfully so) that most people are too lazy to grease them.
Scott.