Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

99 Scrambler 500 Front end offset

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-1999, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok this may be a bit hard to explain but here I go, 2 weeks ago I had to bring my scrambler in for service because my right front tire was locked in 4 wheel drive with awd switch off and no matter what I did it stayed locked in, so when the mechcanic checked it out he had found that the garter spring had broke and that's what caused it to lock into 4wd and he said that my front end was out of alignment, ok I did'nt notice it but so what it's under warranty. Alright here's my problem, when I went to take it for a ride I noticed that it pulled to the right, so much so that it wore 1/4" of thread off my left front tire in about 2 miles of ashplat road so I checked the front end with a straight edge and come to find that one side, back to front is perfectly align right side, but the left side the front tire is offset 1 1/2" inward, so I brought it back to dealer and left it there overnight, today I talked to him and he said he talked to Polaris and they told him that all Polaris sport qauds have this offset ??? Can someone check their's to see if this is ture. This is something that I find hard to believe.

99 Scrambler 00 Trail Boss 87 Banshee

Old 10-09-1999, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

He's feeding you a lot of bull. Check the bike over and make sure someone at the shop didn't wreck it while you left it there to be repaired. The only adjustment for alignment on polaris quads is for toe-in at the front. The factory uses a laser to set it, but you can adjust it as follows:

1. Set the quad on level ground, with the tires properly inflated, and the handle bars perfectly straight, or as straight as you can get it. It also helps to have someone sit on the quad and hold the bars in place while you are doing the adjustment that follows. If you don't, then the bars tend to move instead of the wheels.

2. Take a piece of string or cord and wrap it around the quad at about the centerline of the wheels, and tie it off fairly snug.

3. For proper toe-in adjustment, the string should be touching the front of the front wheels or tires, and be about 1/8" to 1/4" off of the back of the front wheels or tires.

4. If yours are not within these specs, then loosen the jam nut on the inner portion of the tierod(s) and lengthen or shorten the tie rod length until the front wheels are aligned as stated above. This is where it really helps to have someone on the quad holding the bars in straight alignment, because as you adjust the tierod length, the bars will move much easier than the wheels on the ground. Don't forget to tighten the jam nuts when you are done.

Hope this is the answer to your question. I may have misunderstood your question. If so, sorry for all the verbage. Good Luck!

------------------

Old 10-10-1999, 03:02 AM
Range Rover

Ed,
I thought it was called toe out. Either way you explained it great. I've found if you use a small bungee and loop a string on lne end then bend the end over so it won't come off. Then loop the string with bungee around the Quad and tie a loop in it so when you attach the other end of the bungee it pulls the string tight. I center mine on the hubs, this isn't necessary just make sure you have it the same height from the floor all the way around. If not it can throw you off a little.
Scott.

Old 10-10-1999, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone, but thats not what I,m asking. The problem I have is a offset in the front end, if I check the right side with a straight edge from back to front they are flush. When I checked the left side with a straight edge up against the rear tire the front tire is offset inward 1 1/2".

Old 10-10-1999, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

Ho,
lololol... ok.. forget the name joke..
Seriously, they didn't put your wheel on backwards or something stupid like that did they?. Also, if youre lining up off the rear end, double check the air pressure in ALL four tires.
If it still doesn't come out right, swap the rear wheels (left to right and right to left) and re-measure. Sometimes a 22" tire is 21 1/2" and sometimes 22 3/4"
Next step, check your rear swingarm to make SURE it doesnt have any slop in the bushings.
Hopefully I understand what youre saying, that your left set of wheels are closer/farther apart than your right set???..
If thats it and you still come up with the same side measuring off, you need to check your a-arm alignment and check for a bent a-arm with a protractor. (YEAH. that plastic thing we all never used un school.)
Try all that and see what happens. I realize that some of these are time comsuming, but they are necessary.
Good Luck!!

Old 10-10-1999, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

The dealer still has the quad and when I talked to him yesterday he said he talked to Polaris and they told him that all Polaris sport quads have this offset. I find this hard to believe.

Old 10-17-1999, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can someone please help me with this one, it still pulls to the right alot, if I let go of the haddle bars it will make a right turn all by it's self.

Old 10-17-1999, 07:42 PM
Range Rover

Sorry,
I misunderstood your question initially. No this offset is not correct. I have 5 Polaris sport quads I can measure it on and there is no offset on either side. None of the one I have access to are 500 Scramblers though. Since they have the same basic frame as the rest of them I find it hard to believe it is that much different.

I would be calling Polaris myself. Better yet check on of the Sport quads on your dealers showroom floor and make him prove what he says is true. I don't buy it.
Scott.