Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 sportsman 700 efi questions

Old 08-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 sportsman 700 efi questions

I can't find the breather hose on the parts diagram, the hose that goes from the head cover to the left side of air box. Working on a machine for a friend he just picked up. The hose wasn't connected because it appears they cut it and now it's too short. It's definitely routed right but an inch shost. Anyone have a part number or is it just a regular piece of rubber hose?

Old 08-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Listed under the air box.2202744 KIT-BREATHER LINE,SINGLE PC You might be able to use hose from an auto supply,but this hose is flared at one end for the larger fitting on the breather valve.This might be the part that would give you trouble. Here's a nos one for 10 bucks that does sound a tad bit better. Polaris Breather Line Kit NOS Pure Polaris 2202744 NOS

Old 08-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

Great thanks opt

Old 08-10-2017, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

How do you upload a video?? I drained the fuel and added injector cleaner, throttle body, cleaned tbap sensor and it already has OBT harness, inspected wires to tps, very good condition compared to mine that I just replaced. New plugs, air filter is clean.
Before I touched it, it had really low idle and would die if you didn't give it a little throttle, now it idles anywhere from 950-1200 it will keep a steady rpm range +/- 10 then will drop and do the same. It almost sounds like an older car with a cam lol. Easiest way to explain it but then it will smooth out for 10 seconds or so then back to sounding like an idling car with a cam. This is why i need to upload the video

Old 08-10-2017, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

Also the exhaust is really bad, bad enough to burn my eyes instantly, isn't smoking anymore than it should though. Brand new plugs and after a 5 minute idle and a 10 min ride they are both charcoal black

Old 08-10-2017, 06:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I'd ohm out the tps wires from the connector until they tied into the main harness.If the tps and tbap harness are ok,but running rich and erratic,no codes thrown,this could be a sensor problem in sending info to the ecu or the ecu needs to be reprogrammed to lean the mixture out. On something like this Digital Wrench could find out what's happening.I wouldn't throw parts at it.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider

Well of course I called the dealers that are around me and they are booked Out 3 weeks or more. The whole plan was to get his quad ready for a dice run Saturday LOL

Old 08-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

Little update, can't get it into the dealer so I checked tps voltage which was. 890 so I went through the whole process of setting tps at .528 then adjusting idle screw to .710 while still hooked up the the meter I plugged the tbap sensor in and the meter went from .710 to up over .850 ish. So i repeated the same process again. With the same outcome. So I left tbap unplugged and adjusted it to .710 without it plugged in. Fired up and had high idle 1300-1350. Once i plugged the tbap in while running, the idle dropped down to 1160 +/- 10 which is good, but after I shut it off I checked the voltage again and it was up to .950 ???? Also had a couple backfires at y-pipe when I reved it up(was only doing so to see if the idle changed after reving it)
Sooooo....what Does this tell me OPT, something up with the tbap? Ecu? It's gonna rack my brain until I figure it out. 3-4 long weeks until I can get digital wrench

Old 08-10-2017, 02:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Problem is to accurately set the tps the tps test harness is needed along with the regulator and 9 volt battery that comes with it. Plus if you didn't back off the D shaped idle adjuster far enough you can screw up the tps sensor internal spring. Since you're this far in to it,back off the idle screw until it's not touching the cable wheel stop.Set the tps to .528 vdc just using the meter.Turn the idle adjuster in to where it's just touching the cable wheel stop. Crank it up and adjust the screw until you get to 1150-1180 rpms on the speedo and see if the idle stays fairly consistent..

Old 08-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure if you remember but you helped me with my 800 just a couple weeks ago same issue I couldn't get into a dealer once I replace the TPS sensor so I followed the directions on this forum which I had on how to do it with a regular meter and it worked perfect so I basically did the same thing with this one I did back off the idle screw all the way took the cable right off did the TPS sensor to .528 then I put the throttle cover on and adjusted the D screw to .710. Does it make any sense why it changes when I plug the tbap sensor back in?

Search this Thread