Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Alternatives to DOT helmets

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 12:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I know I'm going to take flack on this post from alot of you ex-crash victims. But hear me out.

I know alot of us ride without helmets. I don't feel comfortable riding without one, but I don't want to wear a full face helmet either. I'm struggling to find a reasonable middle ground and I'm considering buying a non-DOT approved multi-sport helmet like what is being used for skiing and skateboarding. I realize that bike helmets are only good for the initial blow, but the multi-sport helmets are good for multiple blows (obviously not at 55MPH).

I am not a speed freak. Most of my riding is up mountain trails here in Colorado at 20 MPH or less. I realize that I'm not going to get nearly the protection that I would from a DOT helmet, but it may be the protection I need from that overhanging branch I didn't see. Yet it would be comfortable (ventilation and weight) that I don't mind having it on my head on a day-long ride.

Is anyone else currently using one of these?

Old 04-19-2001, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Funny you posted this... I am reading the May 2001 ATV Magazine. On page 20 there is an add for a new ATV helmet. It is like a full face but does not cover the mouth. Real hard to explain and I have never seen one like this before. Their site is http://www.apexhelmetco.com/, but that does not appear to be functioning yet. Their phone is 1-800-262-0692.

Old 04-19-2001, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer

The helmets your talking about may protect your head from a blunt impact. But I don't believe a chunk of Styrofoam on your head will slow something being jabbed into it. If you don't like the idea of a full face helmet why not just where a dot approved half helmet. I wear a full face helmet 98% of the time when I'm on my wheeler. When I'm on my Harley it's another story. Usually I go with out. But for the occasion I do wear one, it's a half helmet. The weight isn't to bad, and there is plenty of ventilation. Check out..

http://www.bellhelmets.com/rack/rack_set.html

Old 04-19-2001, 05:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

There are PLENTY of full face LIGHT WEIGHT DOT/Snell Approved helmets in the Rocky Mountain catalog.Call 1800 336-5437 and ask for a free catalog.Prices are great to.

Do NOT sacrifice the safety of your head for ANY reason while ATVing,you could die doing so.
Bill

Old 04-19-2001, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider

What about an MX-style/SnowX-style helmet (or is that what you're currently wearing and trying to get away from?), aren't those supposed to be a lot more open and ventilated?

Old 04-19-2001, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, try a SNELL approved helmet! It's a lot safer.

Old 04-19-2001, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

Doesn't it feel great when you take off your full-faced helmet after a ride on a hot day?

A few days ago, I received a KBC half-helmet from www.helmetshop.com. It's lightweight, probably around 2 lbs, but after wearing it for a few minutes, it gave me the feeling I was balancing a dumbell on my head. And even though this helmet has vents built in it, I wasn't impressed. That's why I posted the original message.

I remember my cycling days where I always wore a helmet and they were comfortable. I'm just asking helmet manufacturers to produce a helmet that is suited for the recreation ATV'er. A helmet like this may not meet the stringent DOT or SNELL requirements. But I bet that many of us don't spend alot of time with our ATV's wrapped out at 55 MPH. I'm still going to take a look at skateboarding/skiing helmets such as the following:

http://www.store.skiboards.com/cgi-l...c520+990939997

I'll ask my wife to let you guys know my medical condition after I take my first digger against that rock face.

Old 04-19-2001, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

i know that you don't like the full face helmet, and they are heavy and hot and cumbersome, but accidents happen. everyone says that it will never happen to me, or i will just jump off in time, or i don't go fast. but it does happen, and always to the person that is least expecting it. maby you're just going 20mph on trails, but sometimes things go wrong on a hill climb. read the post in the honda forum "MY HELMET SAVED MY LIFE TODAY" he just had a freak accident and was luckey he had one on. like he says, it just happened and all to fast.

i'm not a saftey freak or nothin, i love to go very fast and hit ramps and stuff like that,i'm one of those crazy's on a sport quad, but it's important to take some precautions for your own personal saftey.

sorry for the lecture, but my helmet has saved my mug plenty of times, going over the handlebars and hiting the groung head first...thank god for the mouth cover thing or i would had been needing some putting back together.

Just my .o2 cents...sorry for the long post

Old 04-20-2001, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

Why don't you want a full face helmet? Do you like branches hitting you in the face? Do you want to be another Dale Eanhardt? You can buy an HJC CLX3 for $129.00, if you life is not worth that, you should stop riding!

Old 04-20-2001, 10:30 AM
Range Rover

THH helmets are only $50 or $60 why take the chance. It has been awhile since this happened, but I rolled my atv on a dirt road when a deer jumped out in front of me. My atv rolled about 4-5 times and as it came back over on it's last turn it landed on my helmet. Without it I would have been pretty messed up!!

Do yourself a favor buy an approved helmet.

Quick Reply: Alternatives to DOT helmets