Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rpms reading 0

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check the yellow stator wires leading into the ecm. Should be some small ohms resistance between each yellow to another and NO yellow should short to ground. This is a generalized test,but usually accurate. You can also test the AC voltage.

TEST 3: Measure AC Voltage Output of Each
Stator Leg at Charging RPM with a voltmeter set
to Volts AC.
1. Place the red lead on the tester in the 10A jack.
2. Turn the selector dial to the Volts AC position.
3. Start the engine and let it idle.
4. Separately test each ’leg’ of the stator by
connecting the meter leads to the wires leading
from the alternator (Y1 to Y2, Y1 to Y3, Y2 to Y3).

Alternator Current Output Reading should be no
less than 30--40V AC above 2000 RPM on each
’leg’.
NOTE: If one or more of the stator leg output AC
voltage varies significantly from the specified value,
the stator may need to be replaced.

Last edited by old polaris tech; 09-12-2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: ac test..
Old 09-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Check the yellow stator wires leading into the ecm. Should be some small ohms resistance between each yellow to another and NO yellow should short to ground. This is a generalized test,but usually accurate. You can also test the AC voltage.

TEST 3: Measure AC Voltage Output of Each
Stator Leg at Charging RPM with a voltmeter set
to Volts AC.
1. Place the red lead on the tester in the 10A jack.
2. Turn the selector dial to the Volts AC position.
3. Start the engine and let it idle.
4. Separately test each ’leg’ of the stator by
connecting the meter leads to the wires leading
from the alternator (Y1 to Y2, Y1 to Y3, Y2 to Y3).

Alternator Current Output Reading should be no
less than 30--40V AC above 2000 RPM on each
’leg’.
NOTE: If one or more of the stator leg output AC
voltage varies significantly from the specified value,
the stator may need to be replaced.
this seems a little complicated for me lol. I'm a total dummy with electrical so I need it dummied down to my level lol. I seen the 3 yellow wires side by side going into ecm but what 10amp do I pin? Also what setting on meter? Again I need it in dummy terms lol. I've been successful at testing and calibrating tps with meter but it was alot of help from you as far as how to and from another post. Thanks again opt

Old 09-12-2017, 02:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

For resistance testing have the red pin lead in the ohms/diode spot.Turn to OHMS on the meter for resistance testing. For the AC test have the red lead in the Amperage spot on the meter. Turn the meter to AC voltage. Black always stays at it's common point. See if this video helps on both resistance and A C voltage testing.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

Ok so I unplugged the ecm and tested all three yellow wires in every variation. I set the meter to the Ohm setting and tested on the 200 setting. I got 0.6 on all of them. As far as checking ac voltage I need to get some paperclips or something to back probe the yellow wires since I can't start the quad with the ecm unplugged and I didn't want to pierce the wire casings.
I used the right Ohm setting correct? I cant find the specs on what range I should be getting for ohms, is .6 ok?

Old 09-13-2017, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lph008
Ok so I unplugged the ecm and tested all three yellow wires in every variation. I set the meter to the Ohm setting and tested on the 200 setting. I got 0.6 on all of them. As far as checking ac voltage I need to get some paperclips or something to back probe the yellow wires since I can't start the quad with the ecm unplugged and I didn't want to pierce the wire casings.
I used the right Ohm setting correct? I cant find the specs on what range I should be getting for ohms, is .6 ok?
also for checking short to ground, do I keep it in the same 200 setting in ohms? If so I got Y1) .6 Y2) .6 & Y3) .4. I'm not supposed to get any reading correct??

Old 09-13-2017, 02:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Correct you'll have readings but no yellow should short(zero on the meter) to ground. So far sounds like it's another ecm module gone south..

Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

Dealer about 30 min away has one in stock, so pretty safe to go grab it? No returns o. Electrical parts lol. $150+tx

Old 09-13-2017, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lph008
Dealer about 30 min away has one in stock, so pretty safe to go grab it? No returns o. Electrical parts lol. $150+tx
Was 0.6 ohms within range for stator? Also was I on the correct setting on the meter? 200 setting?

Old 09-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I have the auto ranging Snap On meter similar to the one in the video but on using non auto ranging meters start at the highest setting and work down. Usually 200 is ok.Plus touch your meter leads together as they wont normally zero out. Subtract the meter's difference from the resistance value you show. What you show sounds ok. Look at step 13-15 on this article and see if it helps.https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+To+...r/25632#s65006

Old 09-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

I tried doing the ac voltage test. Hard because my rpms doesn't read at idle. I got 10.3 when I did Y1 & Y3 10.3 Y2 & Y3 & 2.8 Y1 & Y2 I did this in the 200 setting on ac with the red diode in the volt ohm plug because I had 0 reading when I plugged the red diode into the 10 amp plug in. Just trying to rule anything else out before I open up this ecm I just bought for $163

Quick Reply: Rpms reading 0