Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 sportsman Mikuni carb question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017 | 02:29 AM
|
Horn Hunter

Dohh I am an idiot the setting is outside the cover. I am tired. That shindy kit was nice even had a filter on the piece below the needle valve.
Thank you!

Old 10-04-2017 | 02:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The front screw that's not covered by the bowl is the fuel screw or pilot screw as some call it.This is the screw you set at 2-2.5 turns out. It mainly adjust fuel flow at an idle. A small screw driver or a carb adjuster tool is what you need IF you need to adjust this screw further. You may not have to if it idles ok and takes throttle. The main idle screw is just that,raise and lowers rpms by opening/closing the carb butterfly valve. Look at this carb section pdf from the manual. Can help you understand the carb a little better along with setting float height etc..You have the BST34 carb.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U2gGlaHJWSIlbA

Old 10-04-2017 | 03:02 AM
|
Horn Hunter

Thank you sir.If you were close I would drop of some fresh venison. I was studying the float. The new piece with the filter the little needle valve does not sit square in the hole when seated.Barely canted dues to the screen filter. Thanks for the link.

Old 10-04-2017 | 10:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Some models used the needle and seat screen filter,some didn't even on the same BST 34 carb that a lot of atvs used.Best to use it as it keeps small particles of trash/dirt that may have passed the inline filter.Plus the needle valve has the provision to add the filter below the o-ring. Not a big venison fan,but my older brother who was an avid hunter did have some good 50/50 beef and venison made into sausage and chili that sure was good.

Attached Thumbnails 03 sportsman Mikuni carb question-3ed5bb94e9b66b81ecd575e28d238367.jpg  
Old 10-04-2017 | 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

I think the screw (under the plug) is the A/F (air/fuel) and the little jet deep inside is the pilot (idle) jet. The OEM puts a plug on it because they don't want you futsing with the normally lean condition they are creating off idle (it's ok to be lean off idle as there is very little load on the engine, but it can make for poor off idle performance)

Depending if the jets are stock or not will determine is 3.5 turns out on the A/F screw makes sense or not. 2 to 2.5 is just a benchmark. There are some good vids on how to set your A/F mixture by ear when the machine is running...

Old 10-07-2017 | 07:17 PM
|
Horn Hunter

Shindy kit in and Carb installed and runs like a champ so far for low and top end. May have a little belt or clutch slippage on top end but that is for another topic.
Thank you to the help of this forum. (OPT) ( DirtDevil)
I am keeping my fingers crossed on that old ducati system.

Old 10-08-2017 | 03:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Rebuilding carbs are still the last thing on a lot of peoples minds..Many still think a good carb cleaning will solve all the carb problems and a lot of times it doesn't. Plus some people go back into a carb 3 or 4 times which is crazy!!Once is all that's needed. Glad the Shindy carb kit solved the problem and hope it stays running with that Ducati ignition that's hit or miss..