Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Polaris Scramble rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Polaris Scramble rear brakes

Ok. So, I have this 2x4 Scrambler 400 powered by an engine without 2 extra strokes, not that it matters for this issue. I'm almost ready to put the plastics back on a sell it when I found the foot brake not to have any pressure. The hand brake that operates both front and rear works as good as can be expected considering the small rotor size.

I have tried pumping the rears up and to no avail, little to no fluid squirts when I press the pedal. It's hard to believe it needs replacing considering the lady I got the quad from barely used it. There is no fluid leaking past the seals so in theory, it should push fluid. Is there some magic way to get these brakes to bleed out like maybe a power bleeder? I read somewhere that if you place a weight on the pedal like it is depressed that the brakes bleed that way. Seemed silly, I tried it but that didn't work. If I have to I'll buy a new master but $130 bucks is alot if you dont need to spend it.

Anyone have suggestions? Thank you again for all your help.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Schwab
It's hard to believe it needs replacing considering the lady I got the quad from barely used it. There is no fluid leaking past the seals so in theory, it should push fluid. Is there some magic way to get these brakes to bleed out like maybe a power bleeder? I read somewhere that if you place a weight on the pedal like it is depressed that the brakes bleed that way. Seemed silly, I tried it but that didn't work. If I have to I'll buy a new master but $130 bucks is alot if you dont need to spend it.
Not using the rear brake is the main reason these samll master cylinder seals dry up and seep air. Hard to bleed these to begin with but a mityvac can help. Aftermarket master cylinders are cheap now,around 15 bucks,so replacement is easy. Mityvac would still save you some time.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Brake-...dYI1t2&vxp=mtr

Attached Thumbnails 2002 Polaris Scramble rear brakes-s-l1600.jpg