Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1999 Polaris Xplorer 400- 3wd....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 07:22 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, thankfully it wasn't the coil or some other expensive part like the clutch. When I had AWD on, it pulled the new plate out of my hand about 1/2" away from the inner pole, and I couldn't move it or spin it hardly at all. It made a big difference in traction, now I just need to get rid of the bald front tires and get some new ones!!

Old 02-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Range Rover

Can someome give me a quick explanation of how the sizes of atv tires work? The first number on my tires are different front and back, which seemed weird to me, cause different sizes would, i think, cause trouble.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Old 02-06-2018, 06:29 PM
Range Rover

So today I was on my home from some trails, and long story short the driven clutch stuck in its rested position. How hard is it to pull that apart and clean it up and lube it with some graphite??

Old 02-07-2018, 02:02 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

NO Graphite lube.. All this does is attract belt dust. Long version if my fingers hold out. Remove the clutch, Press down on the helix,remove the snap ring. When you lift up on the helix,the sheaths will unwind if the spring is ok. Look at the spring for damage, ramps on the helix for damage and the 3 ramp buttons if there's anything left of them.If you're lucky you may get by just replacing them.Blow out dust in an open area,it'll make a cloud of dust. Replace the buttons,install the spring end in the #2 hole of the helix. Align the wide part on the shaft with the wide space on the helix. Lower the helix down while holding the spring in place. Insert in the #2 hole of the clutch sheath. Push down on the helix a little on the shaft. Next step either have helping hands or C clamp vice grips.Hold the bottom sheath,hold the helix in place with your stomach(the bigger the better) turn the upper sheath 1/3 turn counter clock wise then clamp the sheaths or have someone hold them. Push down on the helix,knock it all the way down with a hammer. Replace the washer and snap ring. If you've done it right you can hold one clutch sheath,turn the other and it will snap back when you let go.Get the cheap black ramp buttons.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Ran...pYbWX-&vxp=mtr

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Polaris Xplorer 400- 3wd....-a70351d598f364468136d12a73d7da32bb4ab772.png   1999 Polaris Xplorer 400- 3wd....-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 02-07-2018, 07:02 AM
Range Rover

So a dry graphite powder wouldn't work? Ok, sounds fun... I will see about pulling it apart and probably be full of junk...

Old 02-08-2018, 05:29 PM
Range Rover
Default Clutch

I pulled apart the clutch, and yes it was full of dust! After I blew it out, I saw the 3 buttons, one was half there, the other two both cracked. The missing half was in the bottom of the clutch, possibly preventing the helix from ring up the buttons properly. Is it necessary to replace the 2 brass bushings in the sheave? They aren't new and have some slop back and forth when installed on the other half of the clutch. I found a kit with bushings and buttons for 40. The pics should explain everything I didn't cover. Bad Buttons.
Had some scoring, but smoothed out fine.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Kinda what I figured it would look like. I've seen much worse.. Yes get the kit as the teflon coated brass bushings do wear and need to be replaced if the clutch shaft is riding sloppy and loose in them. See if you can clean up the ground down helix angles with a grinding pad that you can put in a drill or die grinder.Should be able to save it.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

Worse? Just kidding, I didn't think it was that bad. I did a quick clean on the angles with some sandpaper type stuff and most of the sharp angles were down in as hurry. I will make sure they are clean when it goes back together. For $40 I basically have a new clutch so that seems best to me as well.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by PolarisXP
Worse? Just kidding, I didn't think it was that bad. I did a quick clean on the angles with some sandpaper type stuff and most of the sharp angles were down in as hurry. I will make sure they are clean when it goes back together. For $40 I basically have a new clutch so that seems best to me as well.
Yours is an easy fix compared to some I've gotten a hold of. I've had ramp buttons melted and had to dig them out,screws that were destroyed that I had to drill out,plenty of stationary ramps(helix) that I've had to throw in the trash from being ground down.Plus a lot of complete clutches had to be replaced if the helix ground down the inner sheath bad enough after they destroyed the ramp buttons. And people kept driving them until they stopped running. A lot of people were pizzed because of the cost to repair/replace them and blamed the problem on the clutches,not giving one thought about their own responsibility of maintenance of the atv.

Quick Reply: 1999 Polaris Xplorer 400- 3wd....