Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I've been inspired!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:03 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Since he's your neighbor you should only charge him half price if his tires rot off the rims.
LOL,....He'll get the buddy deal....has to buy lunch next time we ride. There is a cafe inside a gas station on the other side of I40 where we ride. Gas and lunch stop. Alot more fun riding when you can get hot greasy good that you don't have to pack in a back pack or storage box.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good deal. The only way I have a hot meal when I ride is if a friend packs Sterno or I bring one of my folding camping stoves and fuel tabs. I have 2 double size versions of this classic Esbit pocket stove that's been around since 1936.

Instead of buying hexamine fuel tablets for them I bought a bunch of military surplus trioxane fuel tabs. They're the big purple ones we used in the army and make a small blue flame. Trioxane looks like sugar cubes and makes a brighter yellow flame.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:20 AM

That's pretty sweet. I checked out a bunch of tube videos a while back on building a small camp stove. They are handy little things to have.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Moto Psycho

I messed up in my last post. Hexamine is the one that's white like sugar cubes and makes a bright yellow flame. That's why the army uses trioxane, with a less visible flame. I bought a canteen, cup, stove, and carrier as seen in this video. You just light a trioxane fuel tab, or hexamine like in the video, and heat up your water or food.

This video shows that Esbit hexamine burns a lot longer than trioxane, but leaves way more residue. Plus the trioxane bars I have look twice as big as the one in the video, and are easy to light.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:39 PM

How do those compare to an alcohol burner? Like the hikers use.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:22 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by HawkeyeRider
How do those compare to an alcohol burner? Like the hikers use.
No idea. I had an alcohol burner in a chemistry set as a kid. I accidentally knocked it over and set my leg on fire. I haven't burned much alcohol since then. I never worry about spillage with solid fuel, but fuel tabs and their fumes are poisonous. After handling them you need to wash your hands before you eat. Washing your hands before you eat is a good idea anyway. And not breathing fumes from burning chemicals has always been a great idea. You would have to put your face right over the fire to breathe very many fumes.

Denatured alcohol is poisonous too, but if you don't drink it or set yourself on fire you'll be okay. None of them is ideal, but alcohol is cheaper. Fuel tabs can be put inside a folded up stove where they don't take up any additional space. You can stick them in your pockets too. I wouldn't try that with alcohol, but if you're sure a container won't leak you can pack it anywhere in your gear.