CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

It's been a while since the LTE duals have been released. Comments?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's been a while since the LTE duals have been released. Comments?

Seems like there were a lot of people waiting for them to be released. Now that they are out, is anyone running them? What's the review?

Old 08-15-2004, 08:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

seen them on other machines but not the ds.

Old 08-15-2004, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Old 08-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

there was some video at on dunes of a 730cc with those pipes.

Old 08-16-2004, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

I had them on the 730 but there gone now,I've gone to a CT.The CT dyno's right there with the Woods pipe but is lighter and quieter.The LTE's were quiet and showed great horsepower on the top end BUT : They generate a lot of heat around the engine- the engine ran hotter, the fan was on all the time. There is a significant burn risk,riding in shorts was not an option and several times I burned my legs through my double front carhartt jeans. I understand there are heat shields available now , this is a great idea and shows commitment and concern on the part of LTE. Lastly you can't run a snorkle tube with the LTE.The 730 on the dyno in Kentucky showed a 3+ horsepower gain when the seat was removed and a upsidedown tube was clamped on and the jetting was corrected.I still like the LTE's, matreial, fit, and finish are excellent and they made a lot of power between 6800 and 8000 rpm. If you hill shoot or drag race a lot they might be just the pipe for you.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your saying the CT is quieter than the dual LTE's? I thought the LTE's big claim was how quiet they were <96dB. Do you have any sound clips of the CT?

Old 08-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

dsengineer, he said the ct was quieter than the woods, not the lte's

Old 08-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

The Good horsepower numbers on the LTE's were with the Snorkel tube on, spark arrestors removed and tips removed, and a Lectron carb. The tips killed alot of power up to 8000rpm for some reason, so you can no longer be quiet to have useable power. The tm mikuni carb can jetted for peak power but not for overrev conditions, so the LTE doesn't get to show off very much on a tm. A Lectron is a must, overrev is where it really starts to shine too.

Most DS owners' engines won't run in the 6800+ range, so the LTE's won't have the chance to shine. Even so, the LTE's could work for a drag racer if bottom end, midrange, spark arrestors, heat, and quietness aren't an issue. This was the first test we've had on LTE's, and we'd like to do some more. We tried a partial snorkel that would squeeze in, but it made matters worse on power. We did get to test them for several days on a highly modified motor with some different engine configurations, but not on a stockish DS650.

They look great and have a good sounding note. Installation is a breeze once you cut your frame up.

Hope this helps a little

Old 08-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 222
The Good horsepower numbers on the LTE's were with the Snorkel tube on, spark arrestors removed and tips removed, and a Lectron carb. The tips killed alot of power up to 8000rpm for some reason, so you can no longer be quiet to have useable power. The tm mikuni carb can jetted for peak power but not for overrev conditions, so the LTE doesn't get to show off very much on a tm. A Lectron is a must, overrev is where it really starts to shine too.

Most DS owners' engines won't run in the 6800+ range, so the LTE's won't have the chance to shine. Even so, the LTE's could work for a drag racer if bottom end, midrange, spark arrestors, heat, and quietness aren't an issue. This was the first test we've had on LTE's, and we'd like to do some more. We tried a partial snorkel that would squeeze in, but it made matters worse on power. We did get to test them for several days on a highly modified motor with some different engine configurations, but not on a stockish DS650.

They look great and have a good sounding note. Installation is a breeze once you cut your frame up.

Hope this helps a little

I have a few questions regarding your tests...

1) Do you think that heat would be an issue with the new heat shields?
2) LTE says they have tested the hemispherical screen spark arrestors with a stock bore quad and the results were invisible - do you concur?
3) As far as horsepower, From the dyno's that I have seen, it does appear thata the CT with the snorkle was +2 hp over the LTE without the snorkle. Am I reading this right?
4) When you say that "the LTE's could work" "if" "quietness aren't an issue" - Did you happen to have a comparitive DB test with the CT and the LTE?

Thank you.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

1) If it makes horsepower, I will suffer with or without heat shields!! but most customers probably don't feel that way. If the heat shields help, I personally would be more than happy.
2) We did not test the spark arrestor screens separately by themselves. My experience in the past on other exhausts has been that they kill a little power. We tested the pipes with spark arrestors/tips Versus NO arrestors/tips. With tips and arrestors installed, we lost 2-3 hp and 2-3 ft-lbs torque.
3) See below
4) No dB tests performed. Just my ears. The LTE isn't extremely loud even without tips/arrestors, just not nearly as quiet as with tips/arrestors.

I could give a 2 page report on the 40 hours of dyno testing alone (that's not counting time to install and uninstall parts) and 150 runs - BUT....alot of time and money goes into these dyno marathons - it costs the customer money to find out which combination of exhaust works best on his setup and us alot of uncharged time and money that was for our own knowledge. Consumer Reports magazine has found a way to get paid for doing this kind of stuff, but we haven't figured out how to do that - heck, we even have to buy the parts we're testing! That being said, I'll give some bullet info and hope that those benefiting from it will reward the appropriate people and not go price shopping - hey, it requires funds to keep this kind of stuff up!
The truth is, I'd like to see the manufacturers do this and publish it - OR better yet, send their product to an independent company and PAY them to do it - then they could have the "Company X" stamp of approval and sell more product. The customer deserves to know how an exhaust (or any other product) compares and whether it is useful for their horsepower range. If the results aren't what they were looking for, they can go back to the drawing board or develop a different marketing strategy.

All testing performed on a highly modified DS650
A) Properly jetted direct mt filter killed 2-3 hp up to 7300 rpm compared to a properly jetted snorkeled filter on the LTE.
B) Tips and arrestors killed 2-3 hp
C) LTE's are down on power up to 7300rpmcompared to some other high performance exhausts (which aren't really low end pipes either). But, then they gain 3-4hp up to the new shift point (which is 700 rpm higher) than the "other" popular exhaust - these good top end results were obtained on a MrHp head, drag race cams and Lectron carb. The stock head with some reworking signs off too early to get full benefit of the LTE's; the tm45 also signs off too early for full benefit; and the "other Popular" cams -ditto. This is where matched parts for a desired rpm range becomes very important.. Conclusion: stock bikes with stock springs don't need to be turning this high an rpm! However, I acknowledge that they weren't tested on a stock bike - so the results could be different.
D) Stock cdi is out of the question. I am not sure what programming the Vortex on the bike had, but it caused us to go back and make alot of reruns with a more generous cdi. It started killing power early then hit the rev limit several hundred rpm early. It looked like the LTE's were signing off and then dying, but it was far from the truth. Don't get me wrong, I like the versatility of the Vortex and the "out of the box" programming is fine for most stockish DS650's, but it will not allow quick/ high revving products like the LTE to shine.
E) Sidnote: 50 passes were made tuning the tm45 carb to the 2 different exhausts and snorkel tube configurations. Thankfully, this carb had already been tuned before it arrived here, so it saved us alot of time. Just one jet size off, and you lose 4-8 hp. The Lectron setup by MrHp out of the box for this application made 2 hp from 5700rpm to peak, 3 hp at peak, 7 hp in the overrev, and 10 hp at 8500rpm!!! Thank you MrHp!

Keep in mind, this was only one set of tests on the LTE's on a modified 730cc DS650 with cam swaps, head swaps, snorkel swaps, and carb swaps. Most of the
results listed above have been proven over and over again, but this is the first tests performed by us on LTE's. So, keep an open mind on LTE's and dual exhausts for now. For all we know, they might perform completely different on another DS650 setup. I would doubt it, but I've been wrong before! They are definitely a good high rev exhaust on a modified ds650, even with a direct mount filter.

Gotta go get ready for Aledo- see ya'll there or talk to you here again next week!

Quick Reply: It's been a while since the LTE duals have been released. Comments?