Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Predator 50CC

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Bummer...
The head gasket has a raised edge does it go up or down.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Dimpled side goes up. Cris cross on head nuts,torque to 14 foot pounds.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dimpled side goes up. Cris cross on head nuts,torque to 14 foot pounds.
So all put back together and i still only have 60 psi. Suggestions? When you say dimpled side up does that mean that the raised edge go towards the spark plug?

Old 04-11-2018, 07:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Raised side up. Squirt a little oil in the cylinder and recheck compression.Should boost it up. Then see if it fires up.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Raised side up. Squirt a little oil in the cylinder and recheck compression.Should boost it up. Then see if it fires up.
ok, I will try it tomorrow. If that does not boost my compression could it possibly be an issue with the reed?

Old 04-11-2018, 07:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you installed the head gasket the wrong way and have to remove the head,you may damage the squish band(the raised section) and this can affect compression even more. Hopefully you haven't. Don't think I've ever had to change reeds or had damaged reeds in these little 50 and 90 machines.I've heard on some of these aftermarket kits that compression would show a little low like that.If you can get it started the rings should seat.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, i squirted in some oil and the compression went up to about 94 psi. I put the plug in and let it run for 10 min, shut it off for 10 min, and then let it run for another 10 min. I pulled the plug and the compression is only 60 psi again. Also when it is running there is a fair bit of oil coming out the exhaust still.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

It runs.... You're going to have a little oil spit out the pipe from it breaking in and years of accumulation in the exhaust syatem. Just run it a hour or two at varying throttle,no wide open speed,then rings should be seated and the spitting should be reduced. You can always take the pipe off an soak it in kerosene or have the pipe vatted out to remove years worth of carbon and oil buildup. They spit and smoked worse than this when we first serviced them from the crate. We premixed the fuel tank 50/1 to help the oil pump out in case of air bubbles.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

It runs.... You're going to have a little oil spit out the pipe from it breaking in and years of accumulation in the exhaust syatem. Just run it a hour or two at varying throttle,no wide open speed,then rings should be seated and the spitting should be reduced. You can always take the pipe off an soak it in kerosene or have the pipe vatted out to remove years worth of carbon and oil buildup. They spit and smoked worse than this when we first serviced them from the crate. We premixed the fuel tank 50/1 to help the oil pump out in case of air bubbles.
So i fired it up, idles good. But when i gave it throttle it bogs down after a few seconds, it did improve as time passed, after 45 min or so it was going at a slow jogging speed fairly continuous with some bogging. I stopped after that because it was too cold out, i just went out to check the compression (1 hour later) and it still shows 60 psi. Should I expected more compression at this point or should I just keep running it.

Thanks,

Old 04-14-2018, 08:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can try another compression gauge if you wish because if it's running fairly well,60 psi wouldn't allow many of them to run right or for some to even crank up. You probably have better compression that what you're showing. I'd just keep running it and see how it does over the next few days. Niche makes some good top end kits,but you also have to consider you're running some old crank seals also. New ones may make it come alive.

Quick Reply: 2006 Predator 50CC